Lead Software Engineer, Solutions Engineering
Schoology, one of the fastest growing education technology companies, is putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience with an easy-to-use learning management system (LMS) that connects the people, content and systems that fuel education. Millions of students, faculty and administrators from over 60,000 K-12 schools and higher education institutions worldwide use Schoology to advance what is possible in education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that’s fun, collaborative and innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren't afraid to show it.
What you’ll do:
You’ll build rich experiences used by students, parents, and educators every day. As a member of the Solutions Engineering Team, you are responsible for building services and tools that enable seamless technical integration with the Schoology platform to both new and existing clients. By working with other teams, as well as with customers, you will take on initiatives that bring value to the organization.
You’ll troubleshoot problems our customers have. Sometimes software doesn’t work as intended, and our customers can’t do what they’re supposed to be able to do. You’ll help find out what went wrong, decide how to fix it, and get things back up and running quickly.
You’ll release software often. We practice continuous integration and continuous delivery. You’ll get your first change into production in your first week. And from there you’ll be making changes that millions of people will see nearly every day.
You’ll work closely with our Product Management, Product Operations, Quality Engineering, and Design teams to help decide which features to build and how to build them. We want to hear your ideas, not just tell you what to do.
What we’re looking for:
We’re looking for you, if you’re an experienced, full-stack web developer with experience leading projects and teams. More specifically, we’re looking for:
- Someone with experience working on both server- and client-side web software. You should have familiarity with cloud development, why Test Driven Development (TDD) is critical, what makes an API RESTful, what React is, what an XSS attack is, and how an MVC web framework works. That will probably mean you’ve been doing this for a few years.
- Someone who understands fundamental computer science concepts. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have a CS degree. But you should be able to describe how a pointer works, what Big(O) notation is and how to use it, when to use composition or inheritance, and a strong grasp of basic data structures.
- Someone with a firm grasp of SQL and NoSQL databases in general. Not just querying, but how to deal with eventual integrity, replication lag and basic performance analysis of datastore queries.
- Someone with a demonstrated ability to learn a large codebase, understand how to coordinate across teams, and work within a complex system. This job will test your ability to manage the time, quality and feature constraints as we work to build custom solutions for our customers.
- Bonus points for:
- Experience estimating billable work.
- Cloud development experience primarily in AWS
All team members at Schoology are expected to embody our core values which are Passion, Collaboration, Innovation, Curiosity and Integrity.
Our mission is to continuously advance what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind.
Meet Some of Schoology's Employees
Product Engagement Specialist
Mia makes sure that Schoology clients are meeting their goals through the use of company products by offering expert advice on use and implementation practices.
Back to top