Lead Software Engineer / Tech Lead
Schoology is one of the fastest growing education technology companies, with more than 17 million users across the world. We are giving educators all the tools they need to more easily personalize education and improve student outcomes, but in a way that works easily with their current systems and teaching approach. We’ve evolved the traditional learning management system into an education cloud: a platform that connects the people, content, and systems that fuel education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that’s fun, collaborative and innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren't afraid to show it.
What we expect:
- We expect you to command respect with both your software engineering chops and your leadership skills by leading by example. You won’t devote 100% of your time to coding, but the expectation is that you will still contribute to the code-base.
- You will be responsible for leading and mentoring software engineers at varying levels of experience, as well as motivating them and helping them grow their careers. In our agile “squad” environment, you also need to be an excellent team player.
- We expect you to contribute to technical direction and software architecture, including integrating the use of single-page app (SPA) technologies with the Schoology web platform.
- We expect you to be involved with recruiting - help us hire more lead/senior/software engineers/developers like you!
The initiatives you could lead software engineering on include:
- Development and software architecture of our assessments offerings. Think online grading, testing/evaluation and benchmarking tools for our educators.
- Engineer a brand new content marketplace for our educators and students. Until now, Schoology has been a platform to store, distribute and share educational content. You’ll help educators and students discover new content with the development of new marketplace.
- Strengthening the power of our analytics platform in order to provide users with the insights they need to make actionable decisions for all levels of education.
More about you:
- You have developed high performance, highly scalable web applications. Our web app is used by over 17 million educators, students and parents worldwide.
- You have led teams of various sizes for at least a year.
- You have at least five years of software engineering experience and expertise developing in one or more of the following languages: PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, GO or node.js.
- You have experience developing at all levels of the tech stack, with particular focus on the back-end/server-side.
- You aren’t afraid to demonstrate your software architecture skills and computer science knowledge on a whiteboard.
- You have experience working with web services (e.g. REST, SOAP).
- You have met aggressive deadlines in a rapid software application development environment.
- You have superior communications and organization skills — you’re going to be leading a team, so this is essential.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with LAMP-based (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP) software engineering.
- Familiarity with Laravel.
- Familiarity with MongoDB and/or Redis.
- A degree in Computer Science or another relevant program.
At Schoology, we are continuously advancing what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind.
Back to top