DevOps Engineer - Federal
- Washington, DC
Open to candidates located in the DC, St. Louis and San Francisco Bay Area
Scale is building out one of the largest hybrid human-machine systems. Scale’s self-regulating system automatically trains workers and ensures continuous quality and optimal allocation. We have thousands of human labelers that complete millions of tasks a month, and that comes with a host of interesting technical challenges. From product to systems to infrastructure engineering, we’re tackling it all to accelerate the development of AI.
- Creating, building, educating, training and designing cloud computing architectures for our Federal customers.
- Work directly with our federal clients to create backend and infrastructure solutions to meet their challenging data and security needs.
- Define standard practices and build tooling around incidents, postmortems, changes, and capacity and work with other Engineering teams to help them adopt these practices to improve their services
- Fix support escalation issues, Conduct post-incident reviews, optimize on-call rotations and processes
- Propose, design, build, and deploy security improvements across scale’s federal environments.
- Work with our advisors and third party vendors and auditors on security compliance, pen tests and mitigations.
- Build systems capable of handling millions of frames of data every day, making it available to both our workforce and our internal teams with high availability.
This role could be a fit if you have
- 2-7 years of industry experience as a DevOps or software engineer post graduation
- Systems engineering experience with real-time and distributed system architecture.
- Experience working with systems that process large volumes of data.
- Experience or interest in using the following: AWS, Typescript, Node, Mongo, MLflow, Spark, Presto, Python (note that we are mostly language-agnostic and are open to using whatever is the best tech for the problem at hand)
- At least a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field.
- Live in the DC, St Louis, or SF metro areas and/or be willing to travel.
- A Secret security clearance is required. TS preferred.
Nice to haves:
- Prior startup experience to help us grow responsibly
- Experience with core AWS technologies such as VPC, EC2, ALB, ASG, Spot Instances
- Experience in operating or managing Infrastructure such as Spark, Presto, Hive
- Experience working with Docker, Kubernetes, and Infrastructure as code (eg terraform); especially for running GPU/ML workloads
- Experience with compliance programs such as SOC2, ISO27001, FedRAMP, HIPAA, PCI or operating within a compliance driven environment.
- Mentored and grown members of your team or been a tech lead on large projects
At Scale, we believe that the transition from traditional software to AI is one of the most important shifts of our time. Our mission is to make that happen faster across every industry, and our team is transforming how machine learning can build innovative products. Our products provide access to human-powered data for hundreds of use cases and are used by industry leaders such as Open AI, Lyft, GM, Samsung, Airbnb, NVIDIA, and many more. We’ve recently raised $325 million in Series E funding at a valuation of $7B+ and are expanding our team to accelerate the development of AI applications.
We believe that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work, which is why we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability status, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
Back to top