Location: Washington, DC
The Scale AI Federal team delivers high-impact AI-powered mission solutions for government customers and it is all powered by our scalable high-performance platform. We’re looking for a strong and creative Backend Software Engineer to join our growing Federal team to design and implement systems that can scale to billions of data points with high performance. Scale’s modern and cloud-native AI infrastructure has been proven in our commercial business for years. We seek someone with a background and interest in building distributed systems, data-intensive applications, and machine learning infrastructure and solutions in secure environments to deliver real impact to mission owners. In this role, you will help set a vision for and then implement and deploy new backend solutions for Federal customers and applications. The backend systems you build won’t just power applications; they can become products in their own right to help customers accelerate their own AI ambitions - Scale’s Nucleus data management platform is an example. Finally, you will be a key participant in customer engagements and a stakeholder in defining the platform roadmap and product strategy for the Federal business at Scale AI.
- Be a hands-on builder; solve technical problems of the highest scope and complexity.
- Contribute to the vision and technical direction for the Scale AI Federal platform, backend services, and infrastructure.
- Help drive innovation on the team with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront problems of high complexity and scope.
- Collaborate closely with ML research engineers, product managers, sales, and other stakeholders to deliver cutting-edge solutions that solve real customer problems.
- Partner closely with security engineering and commercial infrastructure teams to foster a culture of security and performance.
- Be an effective communicator with other engineers, customers, and senior leaders.
This role could be a fit if you have
- 2+ years experience as a software engineer post-graduation.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (or equivalent experience).
- Intellectual curiosity, empathy, and ability to operate with high velocity
- Experience building scalable and fault-tolerant distributed systems that process large volumes of data.
- Experience building and deploying AWS-native solutions in FedRAMP and classified environments (GovCloud, SC2S, and C2S)
- Experience working with Docker, Kubernetes, and Infrastructure as Code (eg Terraform)
- An active security clearance (Secret required, TS/SCI preferred)
Nice to haves
- Prior startup experience to help us grow responsibly.
- Experience building ML infrastructure and AI-powered solutions.
- Experience building, deploying, and monitoring complex microservice architectures.
- Experience with big data tools (Spark, Flink, Hadoop) and building ETL and streaming pipelines.
At Scale, we believe that the transition from traditional software to AI is one of the most important shifts of our time. Our mission is to make that happen faster across every industry, and our team is transforming how machine learning can build innovative products. Our products provide access to human-powered data for hundreds of use cases and are used by industry leaders such as Open AI, Lyft, GM, Samsung, Airbnb, NVIDIA, and many more. We’ve recently raised $325 million in Series E funding at a valuation of $7B+ and are expanding our team to accelerate the development of AI applications.
We believe that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work, which is why we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability status, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.