Certified Clinical Hemodialysis Technician
Satellite Healthcare is a successful, nonprofit organization that has improved the lives of people living with kidney disease since 1973. We earn our national reputation for excellent patient care each day by offering a complete range of dialysis therapy choices, personalized clinical services, and unparalleled wellness education.
Satellite Healthcare provides expert, personalized kidney care at over 80 centers across the U.S. as well as at acute dialysis locations in California and Texas. Learn more about Satellite Healthcare at www.satellitehealth.com.
The Certified Clinical Hemodialysis Technician (CCHT) provides direct patient care under the supervision of the Registered Nurse, following Satellite policies and procedures per their state Scope of Practice in a safe and efficient manner. Care includes taking and monitoring patient vital signs, performing blood tests, documenting appropriate patient information, preparing and monitoring dialysis equipment, and cleaning equipment. The CCHT will fulfill the Satellite Dialysis Mission Statement: "Making Life Better For Those Living With Kidney Disease" by providing superior customer service as part of a collaborative team.
The essential functions listed are not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned. All employees must work in accordance with Satellite's I-CARE Standards.
• Provides superior customer service by acknowledging and responding to their needs promptly and appropriately
• Performs the hemodialysis treatment according to Satellite and the local center's policies and procedures
• Adheres to all infection control procedures and understands the consequences associated with failing to follow those procedures:
a. Wears appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE)
b. Follows all clean/dirty procedures in order to eliminate cross-contamination
c. Performs cannulation using aseptic technique for needle insertion and all other required procedures
d. Disinfects machines, station area, and chairs after each patient treatment
e. Maintains a neat and clean environment
• Performs thorough patient data collection and documentation of patient information prior to, during, and post dialysis, per scope of practice. Provides detailed and thorough documentation on treatment sheets and medical records, both manual and electronic
• Communicates significant patient information to the appropriate team members in a clear, concise, and accurate manner
• Provides reinforcement of education given to patients and their caregivers to increase their understanding of the disease and its treatment
• Prepares dialyzer according to procedure during prime and set up; removes dialyzer at end of treatment, preparing it for reuse procedures per MD orders
• Responsible for ensuring all safety checks are completed prior to initiation of treatment
• Cannulates dialysis accesses, initiates treatments, monitors patient and machine, terminates treatment per policy and procedures
• Administers medications such as normal saline, heparin, and lidocaine per MD orders under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse, and per scope of practice
• Administers oxygen as necessary by cannula or mask under direction and supervision of Registered Nurse or MD orders, per scope of practice
• Obtains blood samples and culture specimens as ordered and performs routine tests
• Responds to emergencies and alarms appropriately
• Participates in CPR as needed and as directed
• Participates in initial/annual clinical and technical competencies evaluations as appropriate
• Develops and/or participates in in-service education programs; attends and participates in staff meetings
• Performs other duties as assigned
Position is to cover short shifts on Monday Wednesday and Friday to start but will have the opportunity to cover TTS once open. Ideal incumbent will be flexible and interested in working EVENING shifts. Will have experience as a CCHT and be able to work independently within Scope under the direction of RN. Requirements
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D. certificate, or equivalent
Experience: Six (6) months of active hemodialysis patient care experience as a certified hemodialysis technician
License/Certification: BONENT/NNCC/NNCO certification (per state regulations); California Department of Public Health CHT certification (required only for CA locations); and current CPR certification
* Home Therapies CCHTs only - PCT certified phlebotomy or per state regulations (CCHTs are not allowed to draw venous blood without phlebotomy certification)
Position is to cover short shifts on Monday Wednesday and Friday to start but will have the opportunity to cover TTS once open. Ideal incumbent will be flexible and interested in working EVENING shifts. Will have experience as a CCHT and be able to work independently within Scope under the direction of RN
Back to top