Social Media Lead // Web Producer: SFChronicle.com
Supervisor: Tim O’Rourke, SFChronicle.com executive producer
Mission: The Chronicle is the Bay Area’s authoritative news source, focused on San Francisco news but inclusive of all regional and Western news that reflects the unique Bay Area experience. This position serves as the social media lead for the SFChronicle.com team and will be trained as a web producer for weekly shifts in that role.
Emphasis: Social media expertise is the primary requirement, but we’re looking for someone who can write, edit, photo edit, copy edit, communicate across departments and create workflows in a fast-paced newsroom environment. Digital storytelling skills, technical acumen and interpersonal communication are of the utmost importance. The social media lead+web producer will work across departments and will be learning alongside the newsroom’s digital team. The journalist in this role will play an integral part in the the management of stories on social media, the curation of the website, and the promotion of projects that showcase our best work.
SFChronicle.com: The digital team focuses on quality as it presents the Bay Area’s best journalism. We strive to work harder and smarter than our competitors every day. Page views and clicks are not the primary measures of success for SFChronicle.com; we value the reader experience and a constant improvement in overall engagement.
Work requirements: This position requires flexibility based on news events. Some weekend and holiday work is required.
- Manage social media accounts, breaking news alerts and a newsletter campaign to drive engagement with our stories.
- Create posts for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media channels for the Chronicle brand, while helping to hone the SFChronicle voice.
- Program the SFChronicle.com homepage and section pages with the proper content, balancing sharp news judgment and writing skills against real-time analytics.
- Work with digital project managers, editors and writers on innovative packages and new ways of storytelling.
- Help the newsroom craft digital-first workflows and strategies.
- Assist the interactive developers on our biggest projects by demonstrating comfort with or an aptitude for learning multimedia tools and HTML/CSS or other programming languages.
What we’re looking for:
- Overall: We will hire someone who is obsessed with consistency and quality, who understands the industry and how social media is changing it, and who is prepared to work hard in a demanding media role that will constantly change.
- Newsroom experience: At least four years.
- Education: Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism preferred.
- Schedule: Some weekend and holiday work required.
- Social media: Past experience managing brand channels is required.
- News judgment: Interest in news, sports, business, arts, food, history and culture.
- Analytics: Understanding of digital metrics, both site-specific and via social platforms.
- Preferred: HTML and CSS literacy.
About SF Chronicle & SFGate:
San Francisco has always been a city on the edge - of technology, thought, food, and culture. Here seismic shifts, literally and figuratively, constantly reshape the landscape. We deliver news and provocative perspectives that engage the smart, forward-thinking people who choose to live on the edge.
SFGate provides a 360 degree view of San Francisco, wildly reflective of right now. Provocative, energetic, unapologetic, the Gate is in constant conversation with the world's most eclectic city. It is the digital thermometer that reads the temperature of San Francisco's moods, trends, and interests, and shares it with the world.
Meet Some of San Francisco Chronicle's Employees
Assistant Managing Editor, Lifestyle
Kitty's Lifestyle Team caters to Chronicle readers' hobbies and interests. By brainstorming with her reporters, Kitty helps create a Lifestyle section that reflects the amazing things the Bay Area has to offer.
Back to top