Come join a world-class team of photojournalists at The San Francisco Chronicle. We're looking for a photographer who is also an exceptional multimedia journalist, can create compelling stills and videos on short notice. The staff photographer will be responsible for creating visuals for all of our platforms -- The San Francisco Chronicle, SFChronicle.com and SFGATE as well as various social channels. He or she must serve as an effective collaborator between the visuals staff and newsroom editors/producers.
This position also requires: Contributing written and/or visual content to The Take, sfchronicle.com's digital photography section, generating ideas for The Regulars - our video "column" that focuses on profiles of people in our community - and pitching and executing videos and photo stories. We want a creative team player who can produce at a high level.
The ideal candidate has:
- A Bachelor's degree
- Experience at a daily newspaper or news organization
- Still and video portfolio that demonstrates excellent news judgment, storytelling and visuals
- Motivation to collaborate and generate innovative, engaging story ideas
- Social media skills and presence
- Knowledge of software programs such as PhotoMechanic, Photoshop, Final Cut X (or Premiere), Microsoft Word, Google products.
- The ability to write clean, accurate captions
- Knowledge of photographic/video/audio equipment and how it functions, including how to use the iPhone to effectively capture visual content
- Be able to work early mornings, nights and weekends when required
- Drivers licence and clean driving record
The Chronicle is world-class journalism, San Francisco style. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. It's not afraid of being controversial or of doing things that haven't been done. It's bolder, brighter, and fearless. It's news that is delivered to the discerning reader through multiple platforms. SFGate provides a 360-degree view of San Francisco, wildly reflective of right now. Provocative, energetic and unapologetic, the Gate is in constant conversation with the world's most eclectic city. It is the digital thermometer that gauges the temperature of San Francisco's moods, trends and interests - and shares them with the world.
Meet Some of San Francisco Chronicle's Employees
The youngest woman to ever be named Editor-in-Chief of a major US newspaper, Audrey manages the Chronicle’s newsroom—working with reporters to get the news out in new and innovative ways.
Back to top