Online Producer / Editor: SFChronicle.com
Supervisor: Tim O’Rourke, SFChronicle.com executive producer
Mission: The Chronicle is the Bay Area’s authoritative news source, focused on San Francisco news, but inclusive of all regional and Western news that reflects the unique Bay Area experience. This position serves as a junior-level producer at SFChronicle.com, enhancing the work of the digital team and the newsroom at large, and producing original work that adds to The Chronicle’s narrative.
Emphasis: Digital storytelling skills, technical acumen and interpersonal communication are of the utmost importance in this role. The junior producer will work across departments and will be learning alongside the newsroom’s digital team. The journalist in this role will play an integral role in the curation of the website, the promotion of stories on social media, and the building of projects that showcase our best work.
SFChronicle.com: The digital team focuses on quality, with no detail being too small to address. We strive to work harder and smarter than our competitors every day. Page views and clicks are not the primary measures of success for SFChronicle.com; we value the reader experience and constant improvement in overall engagement. Our goal is to be the Bay Area's top content site and to improve every day. We are home to the best journalism in Northern California and we deliver a premium reader experience that’s unparalleled in the region.
Work requirements: This position requires flexibility based on news events, such as Election Day, or major breaking news. The workweek will include weekend shifts. Some work on holidays is required.
- Program the SFChronicle.com homepage and section pages with the proper content, balancing sharp news judgment and writing skills against real-time analytics.
- Arrange assets with an eye for detail on article pages, including adding related items, choosing photo placement and building freeforms for video and interactive content.
- Create posts for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media channels for the Chronicle brand, while helping to hone the SFChronicle voice.
- Work with digital project managers, editors and writers on innovative packages and new ways of storytelling.
- Help the newsroom craft digital-first workflows and strategies for everyday stories.
- Assist the interactive developers on our biggest projects by demonstrating comfort with or an aptitude for learning multimedia tools and HTML/CSS or other programming languages.
- Manage social media accounts, breaking news alerts and a newsletter campaign to drive engagement with our stories.
What we’re looking for:
- 1-2 years’ newsroom experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism. Candidates with degrees in closely related fields who have major-market bylines and experience may be considered.
- Excellent social media skills
- HTML and CSS literacy
- Sports literacy
- Understanding of media law
- Understanding of digital metrics
- Enthusiastic and eager to learn
Back to top