Come join a world-class team of photojournalists at The San Francisco Chronicle. We’re looking for a photo editor who is also an exceptional multimedia journalist, can create compelling videos on short notice and balance a photo/video column and longer-term projects. This position focuses primarily on video production and editing but is also responsible for some still photo editing, as well as, photo team coaching and management. The Multimedia Editor will be responsible for editing and creating visuals for all of our platforms -- The San Francisco Chronicle, SFChronicle.com and SFGate. He or she must serve as an effective collaborator between the visuals staff and newsroom editors/producers on video coverage.
This position also requires: Contributing written and/or visual content to The Take, sfchronicle.com’s digital photography section and helping to manage social media platforms in conjunction with SFChronicle.com. We want a team player who can produce at a high level and be creative.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a Bachelor’s degree.
- Has experience at a daily newspaper or news organization.
- Has photo editing and newsroom management experience.
- Has a still and video portfolio that demonstrates excellent news judgment, storytelling and visuals.
- Has the motivation to collaborate and generate innovative, engaging story ideas.
- Has social media savvy.
What will it take to be successful?
- Knowledge of software programs such as PhotoMechanic, Photoshop, Final Cut X (or Premiere), Microsoft Word, Google products. Overall understanding of InDesign, HTML, CSS, and other coding and design programs preferred.
- The ability to write clean, accurate captions.
- Knowledge of photographic/video/audio equipment and how it functions, including how to use the iPhone to effectively capture visual content.
- Be able to work early mornings, nights and weekends when required.
About The San Francisco Chronicle and SFGate:
The Chronicle is world-class journalism, San Francisco style. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. It’s not afraid of being controversial or of doing things that haven’t been done. It’s bolder, brighter, and fearless. It’s news that is delivered to the discerning reader through multiple platforms. SFGate provides a 360-degree view of San Francisco, wildly reflective of right now. Provocative, energetic and unapologetic, the Gate is in constant conversation with the world’s most eclectic city. It is the digital thermometer that gauges the temperature of San Francisco’s moods, trends and interests — and shares them with the world.
Meet Some of San Francisco Chronicle's Employees
Assistant Managing Editor, Lifestyle
Kitty's Lifestyle Team caters to Chronicle readers' hobbies and interests. By brainstorming with her reporters, Kitty helps create a Lifestyle section that reflects the amazing things the Bay Area has to offer.
Back to top