Marketing Research Manager
The Market Research Manager will be a hands-on researcher who will manage quantitative and qualitative market research programs to support The Chronicle and SFGATE brands, audience growth and revenue goals. This person will lead all aspects of primary research, including development of insights to inform strategy and programs.
Analyzing, interpreting and distributing market research data (quantitative and qualitative) for incorporation into high-value presentations and reports; contributing to and maintaining in-house databases of current research and information; being an active partner with advertising, circulation, editorial and administration to achieve goals in problem identification, planning and formulating solutions.
Minimum five (5) years of experience in data analysis of market research for media or content websites, newspapers or other publishing. College degree required. Must possess excellent analytical, communication, organization and presentation skills. Must be proficient in MS Office. Prior experience in digital audience and campaign tracking/analysis, database applications, and thematic mapping is desired, as well as experience with Nielsen, Claritas, Adobe Analytics, ComScore, Kantar Media, Scarborough Research, Media Radar and other vendors.
Essential Duties & Activities:
- Understand the needs assessment process for advertising clients and formulate a strategy to help them achieve goals by using our products and services
- Provide data and copy points for high-value sales presentations based on strategies, research and customer needs
- Assist Sales Marketing Specialist in writing direct-response sales copy as well as translating customers’ marketing problems and our marketing solutions into a comprehensive presentation
- Work with Sales Marketing Specialist to create concise data charts and graphics to illustrate our sales strategies
- Be an active partner with advertising, circulation and administration to achieve goals in problem identification, planning and formulating solutions
Strategic Market Intelligence & Reporting
- Track, analyze and report on all platforms of audience measurement, including print, digital and potential audiences, including proactive and ongoing tracking of our digital audiences, mobile devices, our growing list of new vehicles (apps for tablets), setting report schedules and deliverables.
- Twice-yearly updates on print & digital audiences via Scarborough releases of data with a focus on platforms for news consumption (online, mobile, tablets, etc.)
- Create and maintain an ongoing dashboard of most useful metrics
- Monthly SFGATE Traffic Report
- Assist in maintenance and growth of audience panels to be used in primary research administered by the research analyst.
- Assist in formulating and conducting primary research, including monthly online audience surveys, as well as ad hoc surveys and research
- Responsible for understanding top strategic initiatives (e.g. new products, changes to existing publications and platforms, etc.) and utilizing the audience panel to achieve objectives
- Assist in maintenance of a digital library of most commonly used research and marketing data across necessary platforms
- Assist in creation and delivery of a 12-month schedule of all market intelligence reports, including (among others)
- New advertiser reports from Kantar
- Consumer overview from Scarborough
- Market descriptions from Claritas’ Segmentation and Market Solutions
- Auto sales reports from Dominion Cross-Sell
- Coordinate, create and distribute data reports and statistical-based presentations as needed
Credentials: Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, related field or equivalent
About the San Francisco Chronicle/ & SFGATE:
San Francisco has always been a city on the edge - of technology, thought, food, and culture. Here seismic shifts, literally and figuratively, constantly reshape the landscape. We deliver news and provocative perspectives that engage the smart, forward-thinking people who choose to live on the edge.
SFGATE provides a 360 view of San Francisco, wildly reflective of right now. Provocative, energetic, unapologetic, the Gate is in constant conversation with the world's most eclectic city. It is the digital thermometer that reads the temperature of San Francisco's moods, trends, and interests, and shares it with the world.
Meet Some of San Francisco Chronicle's Employees
Stephanie’s main responsibility is working with the Chronicle’s subscribers to make sure they know all of the amazing perks that come with their subscription so that they renew time and time again.
Back to top