Managing Editor, Digital
The San Francisco Chronicle is looking for a seasoned and inspiring news executive to oversee execution of digital storytelling efforts, training and project management of major newsroom efforts. Our next managing editor, digital, will be a great generator of ideas, inexhaustibly optimistic about the power of digital storytelling and a strategic thinker who will take us to the next level of building on and, eventually, transcending print traditions. Knowledge of current digital news efforts is required, as is a familiarity with traditional print newsrooms. This editor is the No. 2 in the Chronicle’s newsroom, an important role for helping to maintain high morale and achieve high expectations of excellent journalism; as such, demonstrated managerial skills is a top requirement. The right candidate will be a multitasker who thinks about the big picture but can also assess workflow patterns and make changes to drive success. The managing editor, digital, reports to the editor in chief and assumes responsibilities for running the newsroom in her absence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Articulate, encourage and enforce the highest standards in storytelling across multiple platforms.
- Work collaboratively within the newsroom and encourage cross-departmental communication that will improve workflows and idea generation. The ability to respectfully and effectively project manage all aspects of complicated enterprise projects for print and digital is a top requirement.
- Reinvision the Chronicle’s training Incubator program to build on current skillsets, improve workflows and drive innovative storytelling techniques
- Provide excellent personal leadership when dealing with subordinates, the company’s executive committee, and corporate liasons.
- Understand digital and print workflows and have a clear vision for how to increasingly prioritize workflows that benefit digital storytelling. Provide clear and honest feedback about UX, story quality and other aspects of journalism.
- Envision and execute a vision for how premium video can be developed within the newsroom.
- Demonstrate ability to understand digital strategies and communicate it externally and internally.
- Professional communicator and supporter of the newsroom’s vision, culture and plan.
- Dedication to hiring and developing a newsroom with a diversity of opinions, backgrounds and talents.
- Demonstrated ability to develop content areas that will drive audience loyalty.
- The right candidate will have a minimum 10 years as a top journalism leader with experience in developing digital content as well as print deadlines.
- Significant experience dealing cross-departmentally to execute projects.
- Engaging personality, good listening skills and demonstrated leadership ability.
- Demonstrated experience handling high stress situations with grace and calm, and helping others under deadline to do the same.
- A long view of the importance of daily, regional journalism and the value of an established media brand. Belief in the ability to get traditional newsrooms to become change-positive areas of storytelling innovation.
- Significant experience to effectively and kindly manage employees by setting clear expectations and achieving accountability.
Back to top