Copy Chief/ Quality Control Editor
The San Francisco Chronicle is looking for a copy chief with proven success in leading a traditional news desk by inspiring its transition toward a digital workflow. We are looking for someone with strong traditional journalism values, yet forward thinking in how that translates in a digital-first world and workflow. The ability to work fast when necessary without losing sight of accuracy is a must. This person must be versatile enough to help run a semi-universal desk (News, Business, Features -- knowledge of Sports a plus).
- Proven ability to analyze workflows and institute relevant changes to meet strategic goals without compromising quality.
- Motivates members of the copy desk to meet the goals of the desk and the paper as we aggressively move toward a digital-first workflow, providing consistent feedback;
- Writes or improves clear, accurate, creative, appropriate and specific headlines and cutlines, while upholding the highest standard of journalistic ethics and balance;
- Demonstrated success in showing leadership under pressure and communicating effectively under the duress of deadlines, breaking news and desk priorities;
- Understands news desk scheduling and can optimize schedules and workflow to meet deadline and control overtime;
- Can write effective and appropriate performance evaluations and manage conflicts appropriately;
- Is a good listener and communicates effectively at all levels and among departments; keeps supervisor and staff well informed.
What we’re looking for
- At least five years at a metro newspaper or similarly-staffed online publication;
- A kind person who consistently looks for ways we can strengthen our digital and print workflows;
The Chronicle and SFChronicle.com are world-class journalism, San Francisco style. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. It’s not afraid of being controversial or of doing things that haven’t been done. It’s bolder, brighter, and fearless. It’s news that is delivered to the discerning reader through multiple platforms.
SFGATE provides a 360-degree view of San Francisco, wildly reflective of right now. Provocative, energetic and unapologetic, the GATE is in constant conversation with the world's most eclectic city. It is the digital thermometer that gauges the temperature of San Francisco's moods, trends and interests — and shares them with the world.
Meet Some of San Francisco Chronicle's Employees
Stephanie’s main responsibility is working with the Chronicle’s subscribers to make sure they know all of the amazing perks that come with their subscription so that they renew time and time again.
Back to top