Controller - Hearst Michigan
Hearst Newspapers is responsible for Hearst’s newspapers, local digital marketing services businesses and directors. With more than 4,000 employees across the nation, Hearst Newspapers publishes 19 dailies and 61 weeklies reaching more than 42 mission unique visitors across the U.S. with related mobile websites and digital products. It also operates digital marketing services and directories businesses under the LocalEdge brand.
Hearst Michigan is looking for a Controller who will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of the company. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, and capital budgeting, strategic and long-range financial modeling.
What will you do?
- Collaborate with the local management team to discuss long-term and short-term strategies and current operational issues.
- Prepare/review weekly financial report for Corporate and local management.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends and forecasts.
- Partner with operating departments to implement short and long-term initiatives to improve operating results.
- Manage financial forecasting, budgets and consolidation.
- Participate in the annual budget design, preparation and presentation, including continuous variance analysis and forecast updates.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting. Companywide contracts review.
- Responsible for the tax reporting and compliance function for the company, including all Federal, State and Local tax filings and negotiation of audit settlements.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting actives for the organization, including organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports.
What will it take to be successful?
- 5+ years’ experience as an Accounting Manager.
- Strong academic credentials, an MBA a plus. CPA/Big Four public accounting experience preferred.
- Printing industry and/or Digital media knowledge and experience a plus
- Strong analytical and computer skills.
- A collaborative, entrepreneurial, analytical mentality, as well as the ability to think strategically and execute tactically.
- The highest levels of integrity and ethics. An articulate communicator, both orally and in writing, effectively relating to people at all levels both inside and outside of the company. Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- An ability to motivate teams and develop talent to produce quality materials within sometimes tight deadlines and simultaneously manages several projects.
- Results oriented.
Meet Some of San Francisco Chronicle's Employees
Assistant Managing Editor, Lifestyle
Kitty's Lifestyle Team caters to Chronicle readers' hobbies and interests. By brainstorming with her reporters, Kitty helps create a Lifestyle section that reflects the amazing things the Bay Area has to offer.
Back to top