Columnist - Metro News
The San Francisco Chronicle has an opening for a news section columnist – someone who will focus on social and political issues in the Bay Area, mainly San Francisco, though we don't erect a wall at the city limits. We want someone who can circulate among the powerful without being co-opted, a clear-eyed, articulate defender of the underdog -- an idealistic realist. We want a populist who backs up a point of view with unshakeable reporting in producing three columns a week for the newspaper and SFChronicle.com. This is not a job for a journalistic newcomer. The ideal candidate will already have a strong social media brand and will use it to drive discussion and debate in a provocative way.
The Chronicle has a long history of being defined by strong voices. The columnist who fills this opening will be more than a writer -- we're looking for someone who will be our newest voice and a strong community representative of The Chronicle.
What You'll Do:
- Tell stories that matter, and be the first to tell them
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues
- Write three columns per week, covering a range of issues affecting San Francisco and the Bay Area
- Do thorough research and reporting to produce the column
- Build a strong brand and following
- Use social media to engage with readers
- Minimum 10 years of experience at a metro daily or comparable online outlet. Columnist experience preferred
- Bachelor's Degree Preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of San Francisco Bay Area politics, culture, demographics and history
- Demonstrated ability to generate provocative stories
- Experience holding institutional powers accountable
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space
- Strong social media following and presence
About the San Francisco Chronicle & SFGate:
The Chronicle is world-class journalism, San Francisco style. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. It’s not afraid of being controversial or of doing things that haven’t been done. It’s bolder, brighter, fearless. It’s news that is delivered to the discerning reader through multiple platforms.
SFGate provides a 360-degree view of the Bay Area. Provocative, energetic and unapologetic, the Gate is in constant conversation with the world's most eclectic city. It is the digital thermometer that gauges the temperature of the Bay Area's moods, trends and interests — and shares them with the world.
Join our team of world-class journalists.
Back to top