It all began with a ROAR 100 years ago!
San Diego Zoo Global is a conservation organization dedicated to the science of saving endangered species worldwide. San Diego Zoo Global operates three world-class facilities: the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. Our organization’s vision – we will lead the fight against extinction.
Help us to make a difference for wildlife and begin your adventure with a career at the San Diego Zoo Join the dedicated crew who are passionate about what they do and strive to create unforgettable experiences for our guests. Share your knowledge, skills and commitment to provide GRRREAT Customer Service and be a part of the ROAR with San Diego Zoo Global!
Are you ready to start your adventure and put your Passion for Wildlife to Work?
Destination – Retail Operations – Albert’s Restaurant
Duration of your adventure – Winter break with a possibility of year round
Seats (positions) available – 3
Attire while on adventure- The Society has a very conservative grooming policy. Tattoos may not be visible or must be appropriately covered while on duty. Jewelry may be worn if it does not detract from a well-groomed look or create a safety hazard. No facial or tongue piercing.
Amenities – Located at the San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park, this adventure offers ZOO Perks which include discounts on food/premium products, free and discounted admission to local attractions, and accrual of vacation and sick time (exception for some grants and Summer Fellowships).
(union positions) Hourly wage: $10.50
Requirements for this adventure include:
Applicants must be at least 16 years of age. Experience working as a host in fast paced, high volume, full service restaurant is a plus. Essential functions for these jobs include servicing customers in a prompt and efficient manner. Outgoing, friendly , courteous candidates with outstanding guest service skills required. Ability to multi-task constantly changing priorities and easily initiate conversation with a diverse group of people is necessary. Applicants must be available to work any of the seven days of the week and start work by 9:00 AM on weekdays and without any time restrictions on weekends and holidays including nights.These positions are for the winter holidays through January 2nd with opportunities for year-round employment.
Deadline to submit your application for adventure:
Thursday, October 20, 2016
Applications must be submitted online by 9:30 pm Pacific Time
- *San Diego Zoo Global is a smoke-free workplace**
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN
EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER
The Host/Cashier performs all job assignments with a positive attitude which reflects the San Diego Zoo Global’s mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. The Host/Cashier under direction performs a variety of moderately difficult duties in acting as host; greets and seats guests; maintains an accurate wait list and manages the seating rotation of the restaurant. This position reports to the Lead, Supervisor or Manager.
Positions in this class are assigned to a restaurant, which provides guests with restaurant table service. In addition to hosting, this position assists other front of the house employees in serving guests in a prompt and efficient manner.
- Greets all guests entering the restaurant
- Makes Customer Service a top priority
- Seats guests in a prompt, courteous and efficient manner
- Manages seating rotation
- Takes restaurant reservations
- Provides personable and professional phone etiquette
- Communicates with management staff on a daily basis
- Applies good work ethics and meets SDZ Global performance standards
- Assists servers and bus persons with service when time allows
- Assists in training new personnel as needed
- Assists Lead, Cooks, Manager and Supervisor when needed
- Maintains Department of Environmental uniform standards
- Maintains a passing grade on the County of San Diego Department of Environmental Health food handlers exams
- Engages in the organization’s mission and vision
- Adheres to all organization and department policies and practices
- Practices the GRRREAT Customer Service Standards
- Handles information at the host desk including reservation book, business cards, handouts and special dinner advertisements
- Keeps assigned areas clean, orderly and in a safe condition
- Assists with period end inventory as needed
- Assists guests in a courteous, friendly and professional manner
- Professionally handles difficult situations with guests or employees
- Adheres to the County of San Diego Department of Environmental Health standards
- Maintains inventory of supplies at front desk
- Adheres to sanitation and safety practices
- Supports peers and Lead Food Server as needed
- Helps to maintain a cohesive, friendly and productive work environment
Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Education, training and/or experience which would clearly demonstrate the essential functions, knowledge and skills listed. An example would be at least one years experience working in a fine dining restaurant environment.
- Knowledge of Zoo or Safari Park facilities, rules and regulations
- Proper phone etiquette
- Basic usage and care of standard equipment
- Basic inventory controls
- Guest service standards and policies
- Uniform standards
- Performance standards
- Multi/task and prioritize to meet the demands of business
- Work in a high volume, fast/paced environment
- Communicate effectively (oral and written)
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Interact tactfully and courteously with guests and employees
- Work competently with a diverse large groups of people
- Understand and carry out verbal and written instructions effectively
- Perform required clean-up work
Exposure to environmental conditions found where food is being cooked in quantity for long periods of time; may have exposure to varying weather conditions and slippery surfaces.
Move easily and work on slippery surfaces; frequently required to move and lift moderate to heavy objects up to 40 pounds; standing for long periods of time, bending, reaching and twisting; operate assigned tools and equipment.
ALL EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT UPON PASSING A DRUG SCREEN.
SOME EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT UPON PASSING PRE-PLACEMENT TESTING.
Back to top