Aquatic Animal Life Support - Sr Construction & Maint Worker - Zoo
It all began with a ROAR 100 years ago!
San Diego Zoo Global is a conservation organization dedicated to the science of saving endangered species worldwide. San Diego Zoo Global operates three world-class facilities: the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. Our organization’s vision - we will lead the fight against extinction.
Help us to make a difference for wildlife and begin your adventure with a career at the San Diego Zoo Join the dedicated crew who are passionate about what they do and strive to create unforgettable experiences for our guests. Share your knowledge, skills and commitment to provide GRRREAT Customer Service and be a part of the ROAR with San Diego Zoo Global!
Are you ready to start your adventure and put your Passion for Wildlife to Work?
Destination – Construction and Maintenance department
Duration of your adventure – Year round
Seats (positions) available - 1
Attire while on adventure- The Society has a very conservative grooming policy. Tattoos may not be visible or must be appropriately covered while on duty. Jewelry may be worn if it does not detract from a well-groomed look or create a safety hazard. No facial or tongue piercing.
Amenities - Located at th San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park, this adventure offers ZOO Perks which include discounts on food/premium products, free and discounted admission to local attractions, and accrual of vacation and sick time (exception for some grants and Summer Fellowships).
(Union position) Hourly wage $23.16 -$25.33
Requirements for this adventure include:
Seeking a qualified applicant with experience in the operation of aquatic animal water filtration systems, ozone generation equipment and temperature control systems. General water chemistry and experience in repair and maintenance of mechanical systems is necessary. An example of experience would be at least 3 years. Duties include operating aquatic animal life support systems, upgrading current water filtration systems and maintaining daily logs. Level 1 ALSO certification is preferred. SCUBA certification highly desirable. This position will require working outdoors, heavy lifting (approximately 50 pounds) and working with hazardous chemicals. Selected candidate will work mostly in the area of their specific craft, but will be expected to assist in other construction and maintenance duties. A good driving and valid California driver license is required. Applicants must be available for work any of the seven days of the week, approximately 40 hours per week.
One of the essential functions of this position is the ability to drive a SDZ Global vehicle. If you are offered employment in this position, you will be asked to authorize SDZ Global to access your current driving report through the DMV’s Employer Pull Notice Program. Your hiring for this position will be contingent on SDZ Global receiving an acceptable driving report for you. In addition, your continued employment in the position will depend on you maintaining an acceptable driving record. You may obtain a list of conditions that disqualify a person from driving an SDZ Global vehicle from a Human Resources Representative.
Deadline to submit your application for adventure:
Wednesday December 13, 2016
Applications must be submitted online by 9:30 pm Pacific Time
San Diego Zoo Global is a smoke-free workplace
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN
EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER
The Senior Construction and Maintenance Worker performs all job assignments with a positive attitude that reflects San Diego Zoo Global’s mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. Under general supervision, performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled work in the maintenance, construction, alteration, remodeling and repair of Organization buildings, facilities, equipment and grounds; and performs related work as required. This position reports to a Lead/Supervisor.
Positions in this class report to a Lead or other supervisory position. This class serves as a working lead on assignments requiring more than one person and is responsible for assignments requiring greater skill and experience. consistently demonstrates leadership qualities as well as the desire and ability to engage in positive relationships with internal and external customers.
- Adheres to all Organization and department policies and practices
- Model for punctuality and professionalism
- Exemplifies the highest standard of work ethics
- Performs consistently above Organization performance standards
- Practices the GRRREAT Customer Service Standards
Positions work in one or several of the following craft areas:
- Installs, trouble-shoots, and makes repairs to motors, lighting circuits, electrical control equipment, transformers, conduit and duct systems, electrical appliances, and other types of electrical lighting and power equipment
- Checks circuits and performs electrical repair of heating and communication equipment
- Interprets electrical plans, diagrams, and specifications
- Keeps records and prepares reports of work done and materials used
- Applies paint, varnish, shellac, enamel, lacquer, or other protective or decorative finishes to various surfaces such as wood, metal, glass, plaster, stucco, wall board, brick, and cement
- Prepares surfaces for painting or repainting by scraping, sanding, filling, or other appropriate methods
- Applies under and finish coats
- Sizes and tints plaster walls and other surfaces
- Refinishes furniture and other equipment; erects, rigs, or moves scaffolding and platforms
- Cleans brushes, tools, and other equipment
- Mixes and blends paints; matches, harmonizes, and contrasts colors
- Operates sandblasting equipment
Plumbing/Sprinkler and Irrigation Systems
- Repairs and installs plumbing fixtures
- Installs and repairs sprinkler and irrigation systems
- Installs and repairs water and gas lines
- Installs and repairs waste lines
- Prepares pipe and fittings for installation
- Installs, maintain and repair Hot Water Heater (Tank and Tankless Style)
- Installs rough plumbing
- Sets fixtures, moves vents and routes plumbing
- Reinstalls fixtures
- Prepares tools and other plumbing equipment for use
- Assures plumbing tools and equipment are properly maintained and in safe working order
- Tests back-flow devices
- Keeps maintenance and other records as required
- Unplugs sewage and waste lines
- Installs, repairs, maintains, and services sprinkler system
- Alters, repairs, or constructs articles and structures of wood, such as partitions, counters, doors, window frames, sheds, scaffolds, forms, and fences
- Repairs office furniture, equipment, cabinets, and wooden fixtures, performing mill and cabinet work as necessary
- Maintains and repairs woodwork of buildings
- Builds closets, cases, and shelving
- Fits doors, windows, sashes, and screens
- Operates planers, sharpeners, jointers, band saws, table saws, and other woodworking tools, equipment, and machinery
- Sharpens hand tools
- Operates and drives a variety of heavy, medium, and light duty motorized vehicles, such as trucks, forklifts, skiploaders, graders, back hoes, water and dump trucks, etc., in the performance of such functions as brush control, erosion control, moving and relocating large rocks and boulders, road and parking lot grading, hauling, firebreak construction, and trenching
- Services, cleans and maintains equipment
- Issues and receives tools, equipment, supplies, and material for maintenance and construction personnel
- Services, cleans, maintains and repairs tools and equipment
- Orders tools
- Repairs furniture
- Repairs small appliances
- Services and maintains fire extinguishers
- Services and maintains fire truck
- Breaks out concrete or asphalt using hand and pneumatic tools
- Sets concrete forms and reinforcements
- Pours, tamps, levels and smoothes finished concrete surfaces to specified textures
- Lays out work
- Measures and calculates material quantities, volumes, and areas
- Constructs or repairs sidewalks, enclosure walls, curbs, gutters, and catch basins
- Replaces air filters and belts on Air Handlers in Attics and T-Bar Ceilings
- Climbs ladders with tool bag and equipment, inside and outside of buildings
- Handles 50lbs refrigerant bottles (lift on to roofs)and Recovery equipment onto roof
- Crawls into air handlers to replace components (Motors, Pulleys)
- Handles Refrigerant Install, maintain and repair Room Air-conditioning systems
- Installs, maintain and repair Gas fired Boilers
- Installs, maintain and repair commercial Reach-In Refrigerator and Freezer
- Installs, maintain and repair refrigeration equipment (Compressor, Condenser Motor, Coils)
- Installs HVAC Ducting
- Performs brazing, soldering, pipefitting, welding and sheet metal fabrication
- Operates Forklifts and Scissor lifts
- Rigs equipment
- Cleans Coils with Hose and Cleaner Applicator
- Installs and repairs fences
- Performs skilled welding, metal working, and metal fabrication
- Constructs and repairs cages; performs skilled body and fender work in repairing vehicles
- Performs a wide variety of skilled and semi-skilled duties of moderate difficulty in the maintenance, repair and construction of Organization buildings, facilities, grounds and equipment
- Assists other maintenance and construction workers as required
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Education, training, and/or experience at a senior journey level the essential functions, knowledge and skills outlined; some positions may require valid California driver license.
- Methods, practices and procedures in one or more of the building and construction trades
- Tools, equipment and materials used in one or more of the building and construction trades
- Work and material estimating
- Safely and properly handle and operate the tools and equipment used in the assigned building and construction trade(s)
- Recognize and discriminate between colors and/or sounds Keep records
- Make simple arithmetic calculations
- Understand and carry out instructions
- Understand, interpret and work from blueprints/drawings
- Competently perform the duties of one or more of the building and construction trades outlined
Work outdoors exposure to varying weather conditions; temperatures above 100 degrees in the summer months at the Safari Park; dust, allergens, and loud noises; exposure to potential hazards involved in working with various tools, equipment, and hot materials, potential electrical shock, allergens, and/or potentially toxic materials work in confined or cramped spaces; exposure to noise.
This position has been identified as one requiring at least occasional lifting in excess of 50 pounds move moderate to heavy objects move about uneven surfaces and on slippery surfaces and work from elevated positions.
ALL EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT UPON PASSING A DRUG SCREEN.
SOME EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT UPON PASSING PRE-PLACEMENT TESTING.
Back to top