Finance International FP&A, Sr. Manager
We started in 2012 on a mission to create breakout software and services and foster a startup culture at Samsung. Since then, our small group has become a global organization that has empowered thousands of entrepreneurs around the world who share our passion for executing against big and bold ideas and building, growing and scaling businesses.
Our team develops products, invests in startups and acquires businesses ready for scale. With a focus on cutting edge software and services such as IoT, AI, AR/VR, Data Analytics, Cyber security and other transformative frontier technologies, we collaborate with seasoned founders and talented companies, providing our capital, resources, expertise and deep connections. We operate across offices in Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Francisco, New York City in the United States; Tel Aviv in Israel; Berlin in Germany; and Seoul in South Korea.
This is a critical finance role supporting our international offices and is critical to the on-going success of Samsung NEXT. The FP&A Manager will have broad responsibilities to help keep our current and future international offices operating smoothly, including but not limited to, providing strategic business partnership to the senior-most leaders, providing financial partnership and analysis to Samsung NEXT’s international General Managers, advocating for and advancing Samsung NEXT’s business objectives with other Samsung entities and organizations, and supporting the growth of our portfolio of investments through financial leadership. This role will operate in a matrixed environment. As a part of the finance team, it will report to the NEXT Head of Finance and dotted line to the international General Managers. Furthermore, there will be opportunities to interact regularly with senior leadership, including the global functional Team Leaders (e.g., the Heads of Venture Investments, M&A, Partnerships, etc.) and, at times, with the President of Samsung NEXT.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the Samsung NEXT structure, from the internal Samsung team to the corporate structure to the portfolio of investments
- Work closely with 1) Samsung NEXT finance operations, 2) local Samsung finance and operations teams (e.g., Samsung Germany, Samsung Research Israel), and 3) Samsung NEXT Korea to lead and facilitate finance objectives
- Coordinate with local Samsung entities to provide NEXT General Managers with strategic insights on their business based on monthly reporting
- Work closely with portfolio company executive management to provide operational and strategic financial support, to include process definition and financial modeling support
- Design and implement monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports to advise management on future financial status of team and future spending
- Establish and execute procedures for efficient financial reporting as it relates to consolidating entries w/ local subsidiary systems, budgets, and other financial control functions
- Lead special projects (e.g., transfer of IP from Samsung to the portfolio companies, due diligence on potential targets, PMI for recent acquisitions, etc.) related to international offices
- Maintain day-to-day financial controls of international offices and investments, including small startups that operate independently
- Identify and resolve complex accounting issues and manage financial audits
- Coordinate internal financial processes (e.g., expenses, travel) at the local subsidiary
- Work closely with Business Operations to maintain business intelligence tools
- # of years of experience: 10+
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from Ivy or other top tier university; MBA a plus
- Language skills: Business proficiency in English; Korean is desired but not required
- Specific experience: Deep operational experience at a large company, start-up, or investment organization; sophisticated financial modeling experience (comparable to investment banking modeling) that includes the ability to build detailed, 3-statement, operating models from scratch; experience as the lead business partner to VP-level or above
- Specific skills (hard, soft): A critical, independent thinker who can build deep, trusting relationships and is process driven. Someone who has initiative, is not afraid to ask questions, and is able challenge peers and senior leaders.
Meet Some of Samsung NEXT's Employees
Associate General Counsel
Focused mostly on facilitating investments for Samsung NEXT, Vivian works alongside the Ventures and Accelerator Teams as they identify and invest in companies, while also assisting the general counsel with legal issues as they arise.
Back to top