- San Francisco, CA
This role is part of our Legal team within the Samsung NEXT organization
About Samsung NEXT
Samsung NEXT champions builders and founders inventing a more purposeful future. We attract, develop, and celebrate diverse talent with world-class capacity to transform ideas into realities at scale. Our team exclusively works with software and services startups that have the potential to complement Samsung's market-leading consumer hardware. Our innovation model blends the best of both worlds: the agility of a startup with the scale of one of the world's leading consumer electronics companies.
Founded in 2012, Samsung NEXT has four key functions in the global software ecosystem:
- Ventures - Investing in early-stage startups to help entrepreneurs build and scale their businesses.
- Partnerships - Helping startups successfully partner with a variety of Samsung business units.
- M&A - Acquiring startups to connect and scale with our businesses.
- Product - Building new software and services businesses at scale.
The Corporate Counsel will be responsible for the following:
- Advising our Product team as they develop and launch new software and services, both nationally and internationally
- Analyzing and explaining contractual issues, assessing legal risks and giving clear advice to internal executives on various operational matters
- Drafting and negotiating partnership agreements, technology licenses, inter-company agreements, and other complex commercial documents, in close coordination with deal team leads
- Managing the day-to-day work of NEXT's paralegal/contract manager
- Reviewing marketing materials and press releases
- Consulting with relevant specialists and providing guidance on data privacy matters as well as open-source topics
- Building out a library of form agreements, in connection with outside counsel
- Supporting the continuous improvement of internal legal processes
- Approximately 3-5 years of experience in general commercial, M&A or technology transactions / corporate intellectual property matters
- Minimum of 2 years of work with a nationally recognized law firm
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Admitted to practice law in at least one state
- Capable of working independently while handling tasks for multiple internal clients
- Commercial sensitivity, with international or cross-border experience, preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Open to occasional domestic and international travel post-COVID-19
At Samsung NEXT, we hold the steadfast belief that diversity and inclusion is essential to realize our mission and is a must-have for us to do our best work. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Back to top