N1-4G/5G PHY/MAC SME
- Plano, TX
For decades, Samsung has been leading the charge on innovation. We see beauty in achieving excellence and our passion for change fuels our discoveries, inventions, and breakthrough technology. We believe that technology can, and should, make the world a better place, so we create new possibilities for people everywhere, push the limits of what's possible, and constantly innovate.
At Samsung Electronics America, we take pride in the creativity and diversity of our talented people - they are at the forefront of everything we do. Their skillset and mindset drive our continued success. Only the resilient and resourceful thrive in the daily dose of unexpected at Samsung. We unapologetically push to achieve unforeseen potential in everything we do, both within the workplace and at home. We fearlessly face challenges head-on, conquer the unconquerable, and are comfortable living in the uncomfortable zone.
Together we make the impossible possible. Because at Samsung, we Own the Unknown.
Are you ready to #OwnTheUnknown? Join us
Role and Responsibilities
4G/5G PHY/MAC SME - Wireless Networks, Engineering Services
Samsung deploys complex technologies and innovative products at several of the world's leading wireless operators. In this role, you will help drive the functional and performance requirements of our product and software for one of them. You will be accountable for all duties that helps ensure product deliverables are successfully met and in a timely manner. This is a very critical role as Samsung's network team success hinges on the acceptance of our solution.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Responsible for development of product requirements, feature requirements, systems and performance analysis, conduct deep-dive customer sessions on 4G/5G RAN technology.
- Analyzing the customer requirements, converting then into system requirements and capturing of detail design for the development team for all 4G/5G RAN scheduler related features.
- Responsible for leading all technical discussions on Samsung products/scheduler related features with several customer vertical organization including 4G/5G RAN Development groups and RAN performance groups.
- Author technical proposals, Technical research and white papers, design documents, Operator network design, RFI/RFP, and Patent filings.
- Aid in product & feature performance analysis, evaluation of new product & SW releases and third party product evaluation to build product synergies.
- Provides expert technical support in the pre-sales process and creates compelling technical and commercial solutions in order to help achieve the assigned sales goals and business objectives.
- Translates and communicates complex technical design considerations between the Samsung sales team and carriers' network business
- Educate our customers on Samsung's new products and services both individually and in a team environment.
- Works closely with various support organizations, logistics, and cross-functional teams from SEA and Samsung HQ to achieve successful new product rollouts and developments.
- Accountable for leading field integration testing efforts (FFA/FIT/FSA) of all 4G/5G key features with customers, including test plan development, reviewing test plan with customers, driving cross-functional teams to execution, review of test results, issue identification, analysis and quality proofing until software acceptance is achieved.
- Responsible for Tier3 support as required, analyzing and troubleshooting scheduler related issues reported from customer labs, field sites and production network.
- Review and provide recommendations to improve LTE RAN network performance by evaluating and trending key KPIs, performing trials and providing optimization guidelines.
- Subject Matter Expert in driving the technical solutions to customer through complex organizational dynamics
- Leveraging your ability to communicate effectively with all levels of customer organization as well as HQ partners on initiatives
Excellence Dealing with Ambiguity
- Bringing your experience in problem solving and ability to navigate complex organizations with pivotal shifts
Skills and Qualifications
Background & Competencies Required:
- Undergraduate Degree in engineering with 10-12 years of directly related experience is required. A Masters with 8+ years of experience is preferred
- Must have in depth knowledge of PHY/MAC/RLC/PDCP with thorough understanding of concepts such as Hybrid Beamforming, Massive MIMO, New Waveforms, LTE-NR interworking & co-existence, 5G Numerologies etc.
- Subject matter expertise in digital communications, spread-spectrum and multi-carrier waveforms, MIMO signal processing, interference mitigation and cancellation, Turbo and iterative signal refinements, multi-path robust reception, acquisition and tracking of spread spectrum signals, and random-access principles. Must have good understanding on MATLAB simulations.
- Strong understand of channel coding techniques such as Turbo/LDPC/Polar as applied to WCDMA/HSPA and/or LTE/LTE-Advanced/5G-NR required.
- Strong Programming skills in C desired, experience with memory optimizations, multi-Core programming, assembly language debugging preferred.
- Experienced and fluent with 3GPP RAN product architecture, design, implementation and performance improvements (KPIs). Good understanding of scheduler functionality is beneficial.
- Experience with system engineering activities such as feature requirements identification, feature description documentation, parameter optimization, performance analysis, test strategy creation, problem troubleshooting is desirable
- Thorough understanding of 3GPP specification for LTE/LTE-A/5G features and Protocols, ORAN specifications and experience with ongoing 3GPP Rel-15/16 activities is beneficial
- Working knowledge of various RF antenna technologies & network optimizations.
- Ability to travel sporadically during the project
Necessary Skills and attributes:
Demonstrated ability to interact at all levels within customer's organizations. The ability to negotiate with and convince others, in a potentially adversarial environment, including customer leadership, directors and managers with opposing views to accept/approve plans, technical and project recommendations. The ability to plan, organize and prioritize multiple strategic programs and simultaneous performance objectives. The ability to write, read, interpret, explain and act based on a thorough understanding of technical documents, engineering materials and contracts or related documents. Ability to make professional sales and business presentations in writing, through email, reports, or orally, including complex business and technical matters to an audience of high technical skills, management and operational experience. Ability to support a cross-functional Samsung team to achieve customer contracted objectives and specific team goals within established time frames and requirements. Assist in and if needed direct the Samsung team in lab and field trials related to introduction of products sold to the customer.
Work is generally performed in an office environment. Operate a computer keyboard and view a video display terminal between more than 50% of work time, including prolonged periods of time. Requires considerable work utilizing high visual acuity / detail, numeric / character distinction and moderate hand / finger dexterity. The movement and transportation of equipment, most of the time is under 25 pounds. Performs work under time schedules and stress which are normally periodic or cyclical, including time sensitive deadlines, intellectual challenges and project management deadlines. Machines, tools, equipment, and work aids include PC's, printers, copiers, faxes and other equipment commonly associated with an office work area. May require working additional hours beyond normal schedule. Travel varies depending on position. Consistently demonstrates a commitment to policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest and ethical responsibilities.
Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and its subsidiaries are committed to employing a diverse workforce, and provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top