Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
Best Place to Work by Built In 2023
Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking a highly motivated intellectual property attorney to provide a full range of IP support to protect Samsara’s innovations and mitigate litigation risks. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team, where you will focus on IP issues but may also take on a broad range of other legal issues, such as product counseling.
With this role, you will have the opportunity to manage and drive IP strategy for the company, including as related to patents, trademarks, trade secrets, open source, copyright, and everything in between. You will be embedded with our amazing engineers in order to gain a deep understanding of key assets and develop and implement comprehensive IP protection strategies and policies. You will work with outside counsel to develop and maintain Samsara’s patent and trademarks portfolio, as well as support IP counseling and IP litigation matters.
This role requires the ability to operate independently and work proactively with various cross-functional teams (including Marketing, Product, and Engineering) regarding all aspects of intellectual property matters. From participating in invention disclosure review meetings with relevant teams to counseling the business on matters involving open source licensing, you must be willing and ready to help drive the development, implementation, and management of IP strategies and programs to protect Samsara’s innovations and achieve our business objectives.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, reduce emissions, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You are the architect of your own career: If you put in the work, this role won’t be your last at Samsara. We set up our employees for success and have built a culture that encourages rapid career development, countless opportunities to experiment and master your craft in a hyper growth environment.
- You’re energized by our opportunity: The vision we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious ideas for our customers.
- You want to be with the best: At Samsara, we win together, celebrate together and support each other. You will be surrounded by a high-caliber team that will encourage you to do your best.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Manage and drive strategy for all types of IP matters across the company, including as related to patents, trademarks, trade secrets, open source, and copyright
- Manage outside counsel to build and maintain Samsara’s patent and trademarks portfolio
- Partner with engineers across the company to become a product expert
- Counsel product managers with respect to IP issues, including those related to new releases
- Oversee outside counsel and manage IP litigation matters in partnership with the legal litigation team
- Forge relationships with business and engineering leaders across the company in order to strategically develop and implement our IP strategy, including policies and best practices
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 5 or more years of experience in a law firm or in-house position focused on intellectual property prosecution, litigation, and/or counseling
- JD from an accredited law school
- Attorney in good standing in the United States
- Degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or other relevant technical degree
- Excellent communicator, project manager, and team player
- Highly proactive self-starter who consistently delivers
- Adaptable, flexible and creative
- Aptitude for maintaining strong working cross-functional relationships
- A practical and proactive problem-solver who possesses strong business acumen and is confident, mature, and calm under fire
An ideal candidate also has:
- IP portfolio management experience
- Patent prosecution experience
- IP litigation experience
We pay for performance, and top performers are eligible to receive above target equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.