Senior/Lead Member Technical Staff
- Hyderabad, India
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job Category Products and Technology
Big Data Services Software Engineer Description:
Salesforce is building out our Big Data Services team to reinvigorate the way we architect, deliver, and operate the platforms and services that run in our own data centers and also in public clouds - at consumer web scale. Our systems deliver trust and scale for critical customer-facing features like business intelligence and data integration as well as internal capabilities like the company's monitoring fabric and detection/response security systems. We are looking to add engineers, with experience building and owning distributed services, who can step up and own big chunks of this vision on these projects:
- Team#1 delivers high-scale Spark-as-a-Service as a part of customer features and R&D use cases. The team was one of the first adopters of Kubernetes at Salesforce over three years ago and today uses the Spark Operator on Kubernetes to run 10s of 1000s of Spark jobs daily in Salesforce data centers and on Public Cloud. Technologies: Scala, Java, Go, Kubernetes, Spark.
- Team#2 delivers scale-out compute for the Salesforce core CRM application, with dozens of revenue-generating, customer-facing features that use the platform to run Spark, Pig, and other workloads via YARN. Technologies: Hadoop (HDFS, YARN), Java.
- Team#3 is creating a high scale SQL-as-a-service using Presto on Kubernetes connected to a heterogeneous collection of data sources including columnar data on blob storage, traditional relational databases, and custom. We're delivering Presto as a Service to teams inside Salesforce, building features, and doing analytics. We contribute to Presto where it makes sense, and we also focus on the architectural and systems aspects of delivering it securely at scale. Technologies: Presto, Java, Kubernetes.
- Team#4 HBase is a large-scale NoSQL distributed database that stores data with several use cases ranging from low latency real-time queries to high throughput bulk queries for analytics processing with MapReduce. At Salesforce, we develop innovative features on HBase in open source, and have deployed HBase at massive scale with mind boggling numbers - greater than ~4Billion (~80TB) write requests per day and 600 million (500GB) read requests per day! We are also the creators of Apache Phoenix, a SQL-like query service used to write data to and read data from HBase, which is now an Apache top-level project and used by many cloud scale companies. This is a unique opportunity to design and develop large scale distributed systems infrastructure, and be part of arguably one of the largest scale secure deployments of open source HBase+Phoenix in the world.
- Team #5 delivers Kafka as a Service for the company at the scale of trillions of messages per day across dozens of clusters in Salesforce data centers and on Public Cloud. The team works both on extensions to the Kafka ecosystem to bridge clusters together and store streams as well as on highly reliable automation for tuning, operating, and scaling Kafka clusters. We have a strong open source culture, and are proud of our efforts giving back to the community.
- Team #6 The Distributed Tracer team is under the monitoring cloud platform. Responsible for building scalable and reliable services that collects and analyzes applications and system metrics, and provide timely access to system and application health and service performance. Our technology is based on Open-Source platforms such as HBase, Elastic Search, Zipkin, Zookeeper, Kafka and Spark.
- Team #7 is building "Data Lakes as a Service", leveraging components including Spark and Presto, delivering fully automated provisioning, ETL, pipeline execution, egress of results to online systems, with very high availability, predictable latency, and high efficiency. This project is within our Big Data Architecture team, and will have high visibility and impact across Salesforce and our customers.
- Team#8 Argus is focused on delivering analytics, monitoring, alerting and reporting infrastructure under the monitoring cloud platform. Our open-source project is leveraged internally for building scalable and reliable services that collects and analyzes Salesforce services metrics, and provide timely access to overall health and service performance. Our technology leverages multiple Open-Source platforms such as HBase, Elastic Search, Zookeeper and Kafka. We deal with Petabytes of data and near billion metrics/min both from our own data centers and our cross-provider public cloud capabilities.
- Team #9 Monitoring Agent team develops and enhances agents that collect a variety of application and system metrics and logs from every physical machine, VM and containers that run a multitude of services across several salesforce clouds. We collect close to 2 trillion metrics per week from different Salesforce services. The team aims to on-board every service within Salesforce whether built in-house or part of an acquisition. Our team has developers that have enhanced rsyslog and collectd agents and contributed to the open source community. We are working towards supporting several new customers and strive to have a seamless experience between 1P and Public Cloud. We are adding support for Zipkin and Opencensus.
- Team #10 Salesforce Digital Engagement team is at the forefront of bringing real-time communications to the Salesforce Service Cloud. The Conversation Connect team is a platform on which various channels real time channels like Service Cloud Voice, Web and Mobile Messaging, and Third party Messaging like facebook, WhatsApp, ABC are built. Our technologies are Java, Zookeeper, Kafka, relational and non-relational databases. We deal with petabytes of data, and we build for scale, and for both our own data center as well as the public cloud.
- Experience with Java and/or C++ in a Linux/UNIX data center environment
- 5+ years of experience in Distributed Systems
- Experience with one or more of: Spark, Kubernetes, Docker, Hadoop, Spinnaker, Terraform
- Experience owning and operating multiple instances of a mission-critical service
- Experience with Agile development methodology and Test-Driven Development
- Experience using telemetry and metrics to drive operational excellence
- MS in Computer Engineer/Science or related field, or
- BS in Computer Engineer/Science plus relevant job-related experience
Are you an upcoming or recent graduate (within the past 2.5 years)? Please check out our FutureForce program at www.salesforce.com/futureforce . We appreciate your interest but we are seeking industry experienced engineers.
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. The company was founded on three disruptive ideas: a new technology model in cloud computing, a pay-as-you-go business model, and a new integrated corporate philanthropy model. These founding principles have taken our company to great heights, including being named one of Forbes’s “World’s Most Innovative Company” five years in a row and one of Fortune’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” eight years in a row. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, and this level of growth equals incredible opportunities to grow a career at Salesforce. Together, with our whole Ohana (Hawaiian for "family") made up of our employees, customers, partners and communities, we are working to improve the state of the world.
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesfore.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.
Back to top