Principal DevOps Engineer, VizQL Server, Monitoring & Health - Tableau
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job Category Products and Technology
What you'll be doing...
VizQL Server is the service at the heart of Tableau’s Analytics capabilities and our team is on a mission to ensure customers have a performant, reliable experience with our product when hosted at high scale. The Monitoring & Health team drives features to increase levels of availability, performance, reliability and observability for this service that backs creating and viewing visualizations in Tableau.
We are passionate about understanding the true production behavior of our analytics code and ensuring that our hosted environments and products can scale. Your work will directly improve the customer experience and the value of Tableau’s brand for our growing cloud-based Analytics community in Tableau Online and Public, as well as for our larger Enterprise customers.
As a technical leader on the team, some of the things you'll be doing include…
- Deliver operational improvements by applying knowledge of both software and infrastructure practices/principles for modularizing and scaling services.
- Improve the monitoring maturity across the dev organization and drive cultural change towards a more operational ownership mindset, by leveraging and extending VizQL Server’s telemetry to understand the production behavior of code.
- Collaborate with Tableau's Performance Engineering team to analyze service health metrics in production and propose features that improve performance, reduce bottlenecks, and optimize resource usage.
- Build devops practices and lead projects along with the SRE team to operate the monolithic VizQL service like a microservice (while we wait to break it up).
- Collaborate with a world-class engineering team to define and implement features for automated detection, analysis and remediation of recurring issues.
Who you are…
- Experienced. You have experience developing performant, reliable, scalable services in cloud-hosted environments following CI/CD best practices and are familiar with both Linux and Windows server platforms. You know what it takes to reduce the gaps between software development and software operation.
- Technical. You apply system design best practices to handle Internet scale traffic or digging into the details to ensure that complex, multithreaded code is performing efficiently. You are able to t roubleshoot issues in technically challenging code (C++ and Java) using centralized logs, post-mortem debugging, diagnostic tools and other techniques.
- Strong Communicator. You can distill complex technical information down to the key elements and communicate both design ideas and technical details effectively.
- Passionate. You have a passion for solving complex problems and you are always developing and growing your skills as an engineer. You do great work even when no one is watching. The drive to deliver is just part of you.
- Relentlessly High Standards. You understand what it takes to write software that is used by thousands or millions of people. You love delivering high-quality experiences to the customer that “just work” through software that is robust, scalable and performs well. You thrill in your accomplishments but also know it’s about doing and improving.
- Team Player. You enjoy collaborating, learning from and teaching others so we can all become better engineers. You assume good intent in others, and actively do your part to make a positive work environment. You lead by example and help those around you improve.
- You are a Recruiter ! Tableau hires company builders and, in this role, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring onboard to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form .
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org .
Salesforce welcomes all.
Back to top