Director of Innovation, R&D
RXBAR: We manufacture, market and distribute whole food protein bars. While the protein bar market is crowded, RXBAR cuts through the clutter with a clean ingredient deck and disruptive branding. A unique, “No B.S” value proposition has propelled RXBAR to be a major, rapidly growing player in the nutrition category.
Director of Innovation: The Research and Development (R&D) team mission and vision is developing and commercializing, market leading, nutrient dense, appetite appealing, impactful, quality foods through groundbreaking customer centric ideas, executed with integrity, excellence and passion for the craft. This role will be in charge of leading efforts across core and breakthrough innovation and partnering effectively within R&D and cross-functionally to continue elevating the RXBAR brand across multiple categories.
The Director of Innovation will be key to continue nurturing and elevating our innovation and customer-focused culture within R&D and throughout the organization by leading product development in existing categories and front-end new product and process forms under the RX brand. They will be working directly with the VP of R&D and leading breakthrough and core innovation teams.
Our ideal candidate is creative, an innovator, forward thinker, organized, people growth focused and is able to collaborate across functions. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for someone with a passion for food products and a desire to directly impact growth in the business.
General Functions + Job Responsibilities:
- Ensure that core and breakthrough products are executed and brought to market in a timely manner
- Work with suppliers and Supply Chain to discover ideal ingredient specification for various innovation
- Pioneer and challenge conventional thinking by pushing the boundary of food
- Within the brand guidelines, create and pursue innovative product
- Partner with other R&D functions, Supply Chain, Finance, Sales and Marketing to provide judgment and technical expertise to assure that an appropriate level of technical discipline is employed in early-stage business decisions
- Continually pursue the design of the best product
- Lead and preserve a productive culture
- Mentor and develop people on the team
- Be a thought leader in food innovation; serve as the innovation ambassador for both existing and future product forms under the RX brand
- Plan, manage and lead breakthrough and core innovation projects and initiatives at both a strategic and tactical level
- Forward Looking - Cultivate knowledge and understanding of our core ingredients and emerging trends in food and beverages, leveraging this insight to identify growth opportunities that meet the company’s strategic and financial requirements and objectives
- People First-Focused - elevate innovation edge by fostering leadership growth of technical team leads and members through the RXBAR leadership values
- Plan and coordinate the accurate delivery of innovation
- Ensure the information is being effectively and accurately communicated to all necessary cross-functional stakeholders
- Identify and intelligently collaborate with appropriate cross-functional stakeholders
- Coordinate and plan accordingly with key suppliers and vendors
Skills and Qualifications:
- Positive attitude, a thirst for knowledge, and an excitement for growing our business
- Bachelors of Science degree in Chemistry, Engineering, Food Science, or related Life Sciences field required; Graduate degree preferred (M.S. / PhD)
- At least 5+ years of industry experience in ingredient functionality, product development, food manufacturing and commercialization required
- Experience leading and developing technical innovation teams preferred
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills, who is extremely result and detail-oriented
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment, effectively manage workload to meet deadlines, while ensuring a high standard of quality
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player: desire to contribute to a creative, fast-working, autonomous and driven development team
- Always pursues excellence
- Passion for food business
Total Rewards Package: Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, 401K plan with RXBAR match, cell phone & fitness membership reimbursement, subsidized commuter benefits, bike & helmet, unlimited RXBARs, RXBAR gear and invaluable experience growing a company.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, disability, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of RXBAR's Employees
Co-Founder & CEO
Peter was tired of all the BS protein bars that were on the market, so he set out to create one that was natural.
Back to top