Rust-Oleum Corporation has an open position for the role of Senior Chemist within the Research and Development department at its facility in Pleasant Prairie, WI. The Senior Chemist is primarily responsible for developing new formulations and products in a timely manner per performance requirements while working closely with the marketing team. In this role, significant time will be spent in hands-on laboratory work formulating products and supporting manufacturing operations, as well as project management to take new products to market. This position is responsible for activities related to development of new paint and coatings products in the waterborne products area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain laboratory instruments to ensure proper working order and troubleshoot malfunctions when needed.
- Test products, document test data, as well as generate and communicate test reports detailing project processes, results, and conclusions; recommend additional actions or research.
- Develop, improve, and customize products, equipment, formulas, processes, and analytical methods.
- Conduct quality control tests.
- Prepare test solutions, compounds, and reagents for laboratory personnel to conduct test.
- Adhere to safety, quality and housekeeping policies/guidelines.
- Confer with peers and supervisors to conduct analyses of research projects, interpret test results, or develop nonstandard tests.
- Write technical papers and reports and prepare standards and specifications for processes, products, or tests.
- B.S. or M.S. (preferred) degree in Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, or other scientific technical field
- Minimum of 3-10 years of experience formulating and testing water-borne / solvent-borne products for consumer applications / cleaning products. This includes household products, stain removers, and exterior cleaners
- Proven ability to formulate power wash concentrates and automotive cleaners
- Familiar with Safer Choice and Direct Release chemistry
- Familiar with bleach and peroxide chemistry in the use of cleaners
- Familiar with the use of Quatemary chemicals
- Familiar with antimicrobial chemistry
- Demonstrated use of Design of Experiments
- Proven ability to work effectively on cross-functional project teams
- Ability to work safely in Rust-Oleum Corporation laboratories, manufacturing, and customer facilities
- Self-starter, highly motivated toward achievements, results oriented
- Solid record keeping and problem-solving skills
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Strong PC skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
Meet Some of Rust-Oleum's Employees
Ryan oversees the product receiving, warehouse picking, and final shipping of Rust-Oleum goods—while also fielding phone calls and emails with questions from customers and internal departments.
Back to top