- Pleasant Prairie, WI
Summary: The R&D Scientist is responsible for formulating, testing and evaluating technology that allows the company to compete and enter new markets. In this role, significant time will be spent on product development for household products, stain removers, power wash concentrates, automotive cleaners and exterior cleaners. Also supports manufacturing and scouting new raw materials for consumer cleaning products. Will be involved in evaluating competitive products and providing recommendations to marketing team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops cleaners formulations in the consumer market space using appropriate chemistry and design of experiments to meet performance requirements. Knowledge of programs such as EPA Safer Choice, Direct Release guidelines, Prop 65, nationwide VOC regulations is a plus.
- Must have knowledge of surfactant and solvent chemistry, including use of polymers, chelants, preservatives, dyes, fragrances.
- Scouts technical development in related field to consider new technologies to leverage in to the Rust-Oleum portfolio.
- Conducts patent and published scientific literature and constructs technical analysis to drive strategic growth in new markets.
- Identifies potential patenting areas.
- Possesses knowledge in the areas of bleach and peroxide chemistry in the use of cleaners, use of quaternary compounds and anti-microbial chemistry.
- Serves the needs of the R&D department by considering the big picture and analyzing product/manufacturing details to ensure that relevant testing is identified and performed.
- Completes assigned work and issues reports within agreed-to time frames.
- Must be able to travel as needed to support product testing, production support and launch - up to 25%
- Guides a cross-functional team to scale up laboratory formulas to production scale.
- Supervises or serves as a lead to a few technicians or supports personnel performing research projects.
- Develops reports and documents detailing project processes, results, and conclusions; recommends additional actions or research.
- Adheres to safety, quality and housekeeping policies/guidelines.
- B.S. Chemistry, Biology, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or other related discipline.
- The ideal candidate will have up to five (5) years of experience in related industry.
- Demonstrated team leadership, initiative, and creative problem solving skills.
- Must be able to simultaneously manage multiple complex projects.
- Highly motivated and a self-starter.
- Strong organization skills, detail oriented.
- Knowledge of design of experiments and statistical data analysis. Must be able to apply data analysis tools to system development and problem solving.
- Need understanding of analytical and characterization methods such as SEM, XPS, FTIR, MS, GC, HPLC, GCMS and UV-Vis.
- Proven track record of positive customer interactions, providing rapid feedback in time-critical situations.
- Must be proficient in electronic data documentation and analysis using MS Excel or similar programs.
- Candidate must have outstanding written and oral communication skills, and proficiency with MS Office.
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, United States
8105 95th St., Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158
Back to top