Summary: The R&D Chemist is primarily responsible for activities related to development and testing of new paint and coatings products in the waterborne products area, developing new formulations and products in a timely manner and per performance requirements, and working closely with R&D Scientist/Leader and marketing team. In this role, significant time will be spent in hands-on laboratory work evaluating new technologies, new resin scouting, formulating products, supporting manufacturing operations to take new products to market. Testing of products, documenting test data, as well as generating and communicating test reports are key functions for this role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops coatings formulations in the areas such as direct-to-metal (DTM), primer, base/color coat, and clear coats using appropriate chemistry, design of experiments to meet performance requirements.
- Tests wet and dry paint film properties and application/appearance specifications as provided by the customer or marketing team.
- Scouts technical development in related field to consider new technologies/resins to meet performance criteria.
- Be able to take instructions and learn.
- Connects with latest development in related field of consumer paint and hobby paint market categories and liaises with leading suppliers to bring state-of-the-art technologies to market.
- Develops reports and documents detailing project processes, results, and conclusions; recommends additional actions or research.
- Adheres to safety, quality and housekeeping policies/guidelines.
- Completes assigned work and issues reports within agreed-to time frames.
- B.S. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science discipline.
- Must be able to travel as needed to support product testing, production support and launch - up to 25%
- Demonstrated team leadership, initiative, and creative problem solving skills
- Must be able to simultaneously manage multiple projects of varying complexity.
- Knowledge of design of experiments and the scientific process.
- People skills for customer interactions.
- Candidate must have outstanding written and oral communication skills, and proficiency with MS Office, specifically MS Excel.
- Highly motivated and a self-starter.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Must be capable of independent work but also able to work with multi-functional teams.
- The ideal candidate will have one (1) to three (3) years of experience in paints, coatings or related industry.
- Must have experience with data documentation and analysis using Excel or similar programs.
- Be knowledgeable and experienced in the scientific process and chemistry; as well as well organized, capable of managing 2-3 projects at a time and be able to communicate effectively in written and verbal formats.
- Must understand how to translate product requirements defined by marketing to technical terms related to paints and coatings.
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, United States
8105 95th St., Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158
Back to top