Summary: Rust-Oleum Corporation, a leading, worldwide paint and coatings manufacturing company headquartered in north suburban Chicago is seeking a General Counsel to work closely with our Vice President in our legal operations. Supports organization with various legal issues related to domestic and foreign manufacturing, distribution, marketing, sales, intellectual property, social / digital media, regulatory, state and federal court litigation and compliance issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establishes legal objectives to ensure alignment with corporate objectives; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing legal policies and procedures; measuring and ensuring results; developing legal interpretations and options, completing legal responses, negotiating contracts.
- Supports Rust-Oleum's international business by assisting the International Business Unit and the European businesses with legal matters.
- Works with team to provide guidance and practical solutions to operating company business clients.
- Drafts, reviews, and advises on agreements in substantive areas of supply chain, manufacturing, transportation, marketing, sales, distribution, IP licenses, software licenses, real and personal property leases.
- Assists in the management of serious consumer claims, litigation, and support of outside counsel in state and federal litigation throughout the country.
- Assists in the cultivation and management of worldwide Intellectual Property Portfolio (trademarks, patents, copyrights, and trade secrets).
- Advises on applicable state and federal regulatory compliance in areas of transportation, packaging, and labeling.
- Participates in due diligence of acquisition targets and subsequent integration of such acquisitions.
- Advises on legal issues presented by "walk-in" internal business clients.
- Carries out Corporate Policy Compliance initiatives, training, and reporting and generally provides practical legal advice and support on business matters in a fast-paced environment.
- Takes an innovative approach to legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying and reviewing existing and new laws, auditing and enforcing adherence to requirements, rendering opinions, advising management on needed actions.
- 10+ years experience within Legal Department of a domestic or international operating company as well as experience in transactional, intellectual property, insurance, state and federal litigation, enforcement and compliance matters.
- Prior expertise in an Assistant General Counsel role managing a team of up to 5.
- Expertise in international law as well as with a consumer products company highly desirable.
- Superior writing, analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively across business segments with domestic and foreign entities and a variety of individuals with diverse backgrounds.
- Familiarity with the principals of supply chain, manufacturing, and the chemical arts a plus.
- Active license, in good standing, to practice law in Illinois.
- Foreign language (marketing / sales speak) a plus.
Meet Some of Rust-Oleum's Employees
Ryan oversees the product receiving, warehouse picking, and final shipping of Rust-Oleum goods—while also fielding phone calls and emails with questions from customers and internal departments.
Back to top