Brand Manager, Small Project Paints (Specialty Brand)
Summary: Manage the marketing activities for the Specialty Brand within Small Project Paints. Develop long and short-term strategies, marketing plans, new products, and packaging that will drive revenue, share and profit growth for the company.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of the brand's innovation strategy, including role of sustaining and breakthrough innovation, new categories, and new market space; build a business case for new products, including sales estimations, profitability and growth projections.
- Perform category, competitive, customer and self brand situation analysis of trends and results, documenting implications to the business.
- Lead ideation, consumer insight and execution of new product development.
- Lead new product commercialization team.
- Lead all packaging activities for brands managed.
- Partner with cross-functional team to develop product pricing ensuring margin requirements are met.
- Develop meaningful consumer positioning for all assigned product lines that creates added value versus competitive and effectively communicate product advantages to consumers
- Represent brand and product strategy in customer line-reviews and internal sales presentations.
- Help develop creative briefs and brand creative/consumer communications, including advertising promotions and other consumer communications.
- Maintains brand integrity across product lines, advertising, and all other internal and external communication as it pertains to assigned brand.
- Track and monitor product performance, including POS reports, profitability, distribution, and consumer feedback.
- Lead product education within the organization, including developing webinars, sell stories, and product knowledge sessions.
- Four-year Marketing degree, MBA preferred.5+ years of brand/product management experience in consumer packaged goods industry.
- Strong new product development experience required.
- Exhibit understanding of retail, independent paint/hardware and distribution business models.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of DIY and professional end-user product requirements and buying patterns. DIY or related experience strongly preferred.
- Ability and desire to understand and clearly communicate technical features and benefits related to the brands.
- Exhibit understanding of the product commercialization process and documentation and information sharing needs and protocols.
- Must be an active listener, a critical thinker and a problem solver.
- Must be able to work well on cross-functional teams including Operations, Finance, Sales, Research & Development, Customer Service, etc.
- Strong communication skills including ability to deliver professional written and oral presentations.
- Travel is approximately 5% annually for customer presentations, trade shows, etc.
Meet Some of Rust-Oleum's Employees
Ryan oversees the product receiving, warehouse picking, and final shipping of Rust-Oleum goods—while also fielding phone calls and emails with questions from customers and internal departments.
Back to top