Vice President, Product Management - Ad Marketplace
Rubicon Project’s mission is to keep the Internet free, open and fuel its growth by making it easy and safe to buy and sell advertising and enable the world’s leading brands, content creators and application developers to trade and protect trillions of advertising requests each month while improving the advertising experiences of consumers. You get to solve challenging problems in our industry with your unique solutions!
The Vice President, Product Management for Ad Marketplace will be responsible for overall product management and product development for Rubicon Project's Core Advertising Marketplace. The role is an integral part of the company, working closely with the Sales, Marketing and Technology teams to deliver on product goals. This position reports directly to our Chief Product Officer and moreover, it is integrally linked to our core sales and engineering teams to execute on product strategies and initiatives that impact our core business.
**This role will be based out of our HQ in Silicon Beach (Playa Vista, CA) and relocation assistance is available**
The successful candidate will uncover key insights and develop product strategies to enhance the value of Rubicon Project's Core Advertising Marketplace, while maximizing the value for all marketplace participants. Experience, determination and enthusiasm for taking a market-leading platform and making it even better is a must.
The candidate will define a product vision that is innovative, ambitious and compelling, and be a passionate evangelizer of such vision. Be recognized as a thought leader, with a full grasp of industry trends and advertising operations, both inside and outside the company.
The candidate will have a deep understanding of the RTB ecosystem, including how buying and selling works, where it is heading and where it has the potential to evolve.
The candidate must possess an Agile mindset and believe in putting new products into the hands of users as fast as possible. The value of meaningful customer knowledge and feedback is more important than large-scale product plans and designs.
This position will direct and manage the Marketplace product organization, whose responsibilities include formulating product vision & strategy, defining future product needs and enhancements, setting rollout and go to market strategy and partnering with engineering to build and sales to drive revenue.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Own and refine our marketplace platform’s long term strategic vision. This “North Star” will guide your direct and dotted line teams to develop and execute the platform roadmap, including strategies and product enhancements to increase value to core clients.
- Manage the product life cycle from strategic planning such as product vision to tactical activities, such as requirements gathering, use cases, development, release, go to market and feedback loop.
- Define and prioritize enhancements to existing applications.
- Develop the core positioning and messaging for the platform.
- Develop and implement a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute.
- Specify market requirements for current and future products by conducting market research supported by on-going visits to customers and prospects.
- Drive a solution set across development teams (primarily Development/Engineering, and Product Marketing) through market requirements, product development, release and positioning.
- Take new products directly to market in partnership with Sales.
- Client facing - join and occasionally lead strategic customer and prospect meetings to communicate the Buyer vision and roadmap while solving for specific client use cases.
- Represent Rubicon Project at relevant trade events and with the press; serving as our “owner” of the core marketplace
- Collaborate with our Corporate Development team to identify, source and acquire components needed to execute on our vision.
- Brief and train Sales, Sales Engineering, Marketing and the entire company, at regular meetings.
- Be a strong partner with Engineering on an agile development methodology.
- Set feature/application pricing to meet revenue and profitability goals.
- Conduct market research in order to benchmark the company against competitive offerings.
- Develop user experience improvement strategies through the coordination and analysis of platform usage behaviors and customer persona analysis.
- Manage a product and/or feature P&L – development budget against revenues.
What We’re Looking For:
- 10+ years experience in product management and development in the digital marketing or digital media ecosystem.
- Experience managing teams of highly capable product managers and product marketers
- Minimum of four years of Agile development experience, working collaboratively with Engineering leadership and product managers as an integral leader of an Agile process.
- Strong background in managing a product management team and the efforts for full product development lifecycle including designing product roadmaps and developing use cases
- Must have experience working in a matrix organization – strong ability to accomplish goals and objectives across departments.
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- This position requires travel to customer and non-customer sites globally (25%).
- Computer Science, MIS or Engineering degree or relevant work experience a strong plus.
- Must have an excellent track record of managing and developing major products, improving and ensuring quality of products, and solid product management skills in an on-line environment.
- Must have strong analytical ability to assess complex situations and exceptional creativity to provide solutions.
- Experienced, energetic and motivated to accomplish defined goals.
- Must be a strong team leader, as well as a team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with all areas of the company.
- Highly detail oriented and strong ability to understand Marketer’s needs and attitudes.
- Examples and at least one sample of an effective use case/MRD delivered in the past.
- High tolerance for ambiguity and passion for excellence.
What You’ll Get Out of It:
- Exposure to working with one of the largest and fastest Big Data platforms.
- Incredible professional growth opportunity and working on cross-functional tech teams
- Competitive salary, bonus and equity
- Outstanding perks: 100% Medical/Dental/Vision care coverage, unlimited PTO, free catered lunches in all our offices, plus much more!
Meet Some of Rubicon Project's Employees
Software Development Engineer
Working from Rubicon Project's Los Angeles Headquarters, Paulo develops software on the Science Team. He creates full stack applications to better optimize results for the company’s client portfolio.
Back to top