Director Engineering - Big Data, Reporting & Insights
Do you live to solve problems, technical and otherwise? Do you take responsibility where others fear to tread? Are you passionate, fast and detail-oriented in your work? Can you communicate as readily with executives as with developers? Do you want to manage people while staying technically hands-on?
If your answers to these questions are “yes”, great! Rubicon Project is growing, and we need development managers who are thorough and agile, capable of breaking down and solving complex problems, and have a strong will to get things done. In the Big Data, Analytics, Reporting & Insights team you will work on real-world problems working on petabyte scale big data problems where accuracy and speed are paramount, take responsibility for your systems end-to-end and influence the direction of our technology that impacts customers around the world. As a senior engineering leader, you will be responsible for defining the strategy and execution to ensure that our real-time and offline data and reporting systems are scaling with our growing business demands.
LOCATION: WE ARE CURRENTLY CONSIDERING QUALIFIED APPLICANTS FOR THIS ROLE WHO ARE BASED IN WEST COAST USA, IDEALLY LOS ANGELES OR SAN FRANCISCO.
What You Will Do:
- Manage one or more engineering teams
- Deliver high performing, reliable, accurate real-time and batch analytics and reporting systems
- Provide technical strategy and direction for Big Data, Reporting, Insights, and Analytics initiatives
- Translate business requirements into technical designs and project plans
- Demonstrate your technical chops by contributing to the design, architecture and codebase
- Support operation of services in production - making customers successful
- Work hand in hand with Technical Operations to define and support a scalable infrastructure
- People care - Hire, coach and mentor team members; invest in your team by providing frequent and constructive feedback to make them effective and happy
What You Need For This Role:
- 3+ years managing teams larger than 15 developers and 1+ year managing other managers
- Current experience building & operating large-scale, distributed enterprise Big Data systems
- 3+ years hands-on experience with building solutions with Hadoop MapReduce and/or Spark
- Experience with Streaming systems (Spark streaming, Apache Flink, Kafka)
- Expertise in Java / JVM (Scala is a plus) and SQL Databases (MySQL / PostGres)
- Strong in one or more scripting languages (Python/Perl/Bash)
- Experience delivering product in an Agile environment
- Experience in programmatic advertising is a big plus
- Experience with Druid a big plus
- Experience at a public company and SOX Compliance a big plus
- B.S. in CS/EE or related science required
Abilities We're Looking For:
- Ability to lead initiatives and be a catalyst for change throughout the organization
- Able to balance high-quality development with pragmatism and rapid delivery of products
- You like to innovate and work in an environment where software engineers are full participants in shaping the product and the business
- Be a creative problem-solver who can draw on an array of expertise and technology to design and implement reliable, scalable and maintainable solutions to challenging problems
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills with engineers and non-technical folks.
Back to top