Data Platform Engineer
Who we're looking for:
Having launched our on-demand dog walking service and expanded into international markets, Rover now depends on experimentation and machine learning models to drive our marketplace more than ever before. This exciting growth has created a lot of interesting new challenges. Rover's data science and machine learning platform enables engineers and data scientists to rapidly experiment with new marketplace paradigms and models, including machine learning models. This platform enables development, testing, deployment, evaluation, and continued iteration on machine learning models, as well as the feature engineering pipelines they depend on.
We are looking to grow the team that builds and operates the data science and machine learning platform, which
1. Rover’s data scientists and analysts use to access data when building and deploying machine learning algorithms,
2. Powers Rover’s marketplace experimentation systems, and
3. Empowers our operations teams to use machine learning to provide awesome customer support
This role is not a Data Scientist, but will work closely with Data Scientists and should be familiar with machine learning models and data science pipelines in general.
We're looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our data science and machine learning platform team. In this role, you'll primarily be responsible for helping design, develop, implement, and operate Rover's data science platform. Ideally, you'll also have experience with managing data pipelines that include machine learning or statistical models, and using distributed processing or big data frameworks such as Apache Spark. You'll succeed in this role if you can help us 1) empower data scientists and engineers to conduct experiments within the Rover marketplace, 2) expand the tooling available for developing machine learning projects, and 3) design and operate a reliable platform of data systems at scale. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, has excellent communication skills, loves to work on cutting edge technology and has a knack for problem solving.
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the nation’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
We're headquartered in downtown Seattle. We're an agile, fast-growing startup, and our leadership comes from some of the country's most respected tech companies. We've been named among Seattle's "Best Places to Work" in Seattle Met magazine, Seattle Business Magazine, and the Puget Sound Business Journal." We're also a recipient of Seattle Business Magazine's 2015 Tech Impact Awards. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
- 4+ years of Software development.
- 2+ years of experience with building data pipelines.
- 1+ years creating Apache Spark or MapReduce jobs.
- Experience supporting Data Analysts and Scientists.
- Experience working with cloud based data platforms such as AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with building/running A/B tests is a plus.
- Experience with Java, Scala or Python is a plus.
- Interface with the Data Science team and analysts across Rover to understand data science pipeline deployment-related challenges
- Build and improve Rover's data science platform
- Build proof of concept models or machine learning models to demonstrate the platform
- Create versioned feature pipelines to materialize feature data at scale
- Serve as a subject matter expert for machine learning across Rover's technical teams
Why we'll hire you:
- You're qualified for the position and your values align with Rover's Core Values
- You're a great Engineer who wants to get even better, and you have an ongoing thirst for new knowledge and ideas, and a passion for Software Engineering
- You have a strong sense of prioritization and execution against critical deliverables, coupled with a sense of personal ownership for key projects / issue resolution.
- You play nicely with others and believe in being successful as a team
- You can take loose requirements, figure out what needs to be done, and make it happen!
- You have experience using our tools or similar ones
- You can be your own QA team, producing quality code the first time around
- You can pitch your own ideas and shepherd them through to completion
- You know when to call it 'good enough' and ship, and when to put in the extra time to polish your code
- You like to work hard, but have fun while you're doing it!
This position is based at Rover HQ in Downtown Seattle.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Back to top