- San Mateo, CA
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
In 2019, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today -- distributed systems, real-time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more.
The Roblox Avatar defines the identity of a Roblox player and is one of the key axes around which the Roblox Metaverse construct is built. As a Technical Director on the Avatar team, you’ll be one of the senior most technical leaders at Roblox, working with a team of talented engineers to implement core character technologies that will enhance the range of character look and behavior from the classic toy-like characters to photorealistic humans and anywhere in between.
You are experienced and passionate about powering the future generation of Roblox’s high-performant real-time characters and the developer tools that will enable millions of Roblox developers and creators to easily create characters through intuitive user interfaces. You will be building cutting edge technology in the areas of real-time cloth, natural character motion, facial animation, character physics and rendering. If you enjoy working in an exciting, fast-paced environment where we hold the “long view” as sacrosanct, you’ll enjoy the challenges here at Roblox.
- Educated: Bachelor’s degree in a related CG field. Masters and PhDs preferred.
- Experienced: 10+ years in the game industry, computer graphics or related field
- Proficient: Strong in C++ and/or Lua
- Knowledgeable: Strong understanding of modern real-time 3D engines and keeping up to date on state of the art research in the fields of computer graphics, computer vision and application of machine learning to computer graphics problems
- Customer-centric: Passion for performance and top-notch visuals with a focus on driving improvements in engines, tools, and pipelines
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Driven: A desire to learn, explore and provide value in a fast-paced, fluid environment
- Team-oriented: Solid communication and collaboration skills
- Become an expert on the Roblox Avatar data model and core engine function that drive the character systems.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to realize the research efforts into the Roblox production game engine and tools.
- Become an expert on Roblox Studio, our content creation tools, and pipeline
- Author specs for new features and improvement
- Lead other engineers by example and through technical direction.
- Collaborate with different teams to improve existing and develop new functionality, pipelines, and workflow
- Be guided by the company vision to put the Roblox community first and represent the company through thought leadership
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox – Powering Imagination.
Back to top