Software Engineer - Physics Engine
Roblox, Software Engineer - Physics Engine, San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s Imagination Platform is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, enabling kids of all ages to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Powered by a global community of millions of developers and creators, Roblox allows anyone to build, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable.
ComScore ranks Roblox as one of the top online entertainment platforms for audiences under the age of 18 based on average monthly visits and time spent. In addition, Roblox has been named one of America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies on the Inc. 5000 for the past two consecutive years.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today -- distributed systems, real time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more. As a Roblox engineer, you will have real ownership and impact across one or more of these domains.
As a Software Engineer - Physics Engine, you will work on our state of the art distributed physics engine which is capable of computing the complex motion of thousands of parts due to the effects of collisions, mechanical joints, explosions, flying projectiles, vehicles and interactions with Roblox avatars. By applying industry-leading algorithms and methods, you will build and deliver the tools that let developers create amazing games, no matter whether the target platform is mobile, desktop, console or VR.
- Experienced in physics development: At least 4 years of working with physics or motion simulation for interactive environments, perhaps in a gaming environment.
- Fluent in dynamics/3D motion simulation: You understand motion simulation concepts, including rigid body spatial representation, collision detection, mechanical joints, equations of motion and 3D vector math.
- Good at C++ programming: Pointers, templates, and raw blocks of memory are your everyday tools to write high-performance code.
- Eager to learn: Able to adapt to a dynamic-everything environment where pre-computation isn’t always possible.
- Self-sufficient: Experienced in working with internal and external stakeholders to deliver projects that keep working once they’re done.
- A leader: Comfortable in defining and championing a plan to improve Physics capabilities over time, and marshal others to your cause.
- Engine/platform oriented: You might have helped develop a game engine from scratch, or done other similar projects.
- Resource minded: You have probably worked in alternate and constrained platforms like consoles or mobile devices.
- Develop physics engine code that helps our community of developers build realistic, immersive motion into their games on the Roblox platform.
- Select the right balance of performance and fidelity to achieve the best outcome for each use case.
- Carry the torch for the future of Physics simulation in user-generated games.
- Self-organize and take ownership of a project throughout its full lifecycle.
- Find out how Roblox is special and how you can harness that to deliver awesome environments using industry-leading techniques across all platforms.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rock star status with our community
Roblox – Powering Imagination.
Back to top