Game Networking Engineer
ROBLOX – The Imagination Platform
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
In 2018, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
The Game Network Team pulls the players together by ensuring the rapid communication of the game state to all. Short of inventing a time machine, you will help the players experience the game as a more and more nearly synchronous world. Just as the nerves in our bodies coordinate our actions, the network system coordinates all the computers involved into a smooth experience for the players. You will have the opportunity to learn about all aspects of the game platform in your quest for real-time communication of all parts of every game on Roblox.
- Amazing at systems-level C++ programming (5+ years of experience): the actual work the CPU does when you use smart pointers, templates, virtual functions, and blocks of memory, both structured and raw, fascinates you
- Knowledgeable about network protocols: you understand the messages exchanged during communication over these protocols
- Keen to understand each millisecond of the network exchanges: you know where the time goes and how to reduce the waste
- Self-sufficient: you can break down high-level tasks and drive them to completion
- Multi-platform: you understand, across all platforms, what happens hardware-level when certain code is executed
- Ready for a challenge: you’re eager to tackle the hardest multiplayer network problems you can find
- Develop network communication code that creates a smooth and real-time experience for Roblox players worldwide
- Improve the balance of the play experience across devices of widely different capabilities
- Work on all the devices Roblox supports - from desktop clients to mobile phone clients to console clients
- Self-organize your work and take ownership of projects throughout their full life-cycles
- Real-time game networking, such as a networked shooter, RTS, or MMO
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual Caltrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
Back to top