Art Director (3D)
- San Mateo, CA
As a Art Director 3D, you’ll be working with a team of talented artists and technical artists to drive technical vision and visual quality across the full breadth of Roblox’s platform. Collaborating with our engineering and product managers, you’ll need broad experience with technologies like gaming hardware, vfx, character rigging and animation, experience w/ scripting languages, shader systems, external content creation tools, and 3D API. The results of your team's work will help drive our future roadmap and priorities as well as decisions on creative technologies. You will need to be a proactive problem solver with respect to project changes and deliverables to ensure 3D staff can deliver the best quality results in a timely manner. If you are experienced and passionate about holistic visual output, improving interconnected engine technologies, focused on the end user experience, and our developers’ quality of life, you’ll enjoy the challenges here at Roblox.
- Educated: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related CG field
- Experienced: 10+ years in the game industry or related industry, 3+ years in a supervisor or lead role, worked on titles on multiple platforms (mobile a plus)
- Lead: Ensuring adequate understanding of key deliverables and clear direction before production work begins
- Organized: Design/Develop efficient and flexible production pipelines for complex internal projects and prototypes
- Team-oriented: Supervise the artist in achieving all technical aspects of production and RnD projects
- Proactive: Work with product and engineering staff to explore and identify key technologies or engine improvements that can yield the highest RoI for the team.
- Visionary: Ability to envision extensive and efficient methods for production and improvements to everything from Avatar, Environment, to Rendering.
- Knowledgeable: Strong understanding of modern real-time game engines and hardware, variety of content creation tools (including Maya and Blender), rigging, animation, complex deformation systems, and particle systems
- Visual-focused: Passion for top-notch visuals with a focus on driving improvements in engine features for richer tools and more efficient pipelines within Studio
- Coordinate art and tech art team members with other teams to prioritize features and ensure prototype features can produce intended results
- Train team members and review their overall performance and work, ensuring the highest standards are met at all times
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering to identify aspects of the product that require visual target, immediate prototypes, or feedback from 3D staff
- Investigate and provide feedback on roadmaps and quarterly priorities, and leverage your team to assist in providing use cases or examples.
- Determine the need for new talent with the help of the product and engineering leads.
- Become an expert on Roblox Avatar technology, Roblox content creation tools, and pipeline and help in improving the overall development and content creation experience.
- Follow our development community and stay aware of top issues and requests
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
In 2018 and 2019, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
Back to top