Director of Engineering, Trading
- Menlo Park, CA
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the world class products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
- A Great Place to Work
- A CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2019 and 2020
- A LinkedIn Top Startup in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
Robinhood is backed by leading investors that include DST Global, Index Ventures, NEA, Ribbit Capital, Thrive Capital, and Sequoia.
Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the role
We are looking for a seasoned engineering leader for what is our core business area today, Trading. The trading team is on a mission to democratize finance by removing barriers to investing in the stock market.
We imagine a world where millions of customers are able to use Robinhood to meet their financial goals. We'll get there by following our core principles: deliver high-quality, customer focused products and pass more value back to our customers than anyone else.
We're looking for a senior engineering leader to help scale this area. In this role you will help to evolve the strategy for the area, partnering closely with product, design, operations, compliance and scale the engineering team to meet the future ambitions of the team.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Help scale and evolve the strategy for Robinhood's core business today, Trading
- Develop and recruit senior engineering leaders, both managers and individual contributors, to support continued hyper-growth
- Coach and mentor engineers and managers on the team by giving them actionable feedback, setting clear goals, etc
- Build strong partnerships with counterparts in product, design, operations, legal, and compliance
- Find ways to accelerate the development of complex and heavily regulated financial products
- Improve Robinhood's programs and processes for project, career, and organizational development
- Contribute to engineering-wide activities around hiring, onboarding, and professional development
- Experience managing a large organization of at least 50 engineers
- Six or more years of experience as an engineering leader
- Extensive experience developing new teams and managers
- Experience as a technical leader for a business-critical system
- Strong technical skills and a willingness to dive into technical details
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience working on building product and working closely with cross functional partners
- Experience managing full-stack teams
- Experience developing, managing, and evaluating managerial talent
- Experience with consumer finance, especially brokerage products
- Experience with transitions from co-located to distributed engineering teams
- Strong interest in financial systems, products, and services
- Strong eye for product detail, especially with respect to mobile apps
Technologies we use:
- Postgres, Redis
- Python/Django, Go
- AWS, Kubernetes
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Back to top