Senior Manager, Revenue
Who is Return Path?
Return Path is the expert in deliverability. Every day, our customers trust our data and insights to help them optimize their email marketing. Partnered with best-in-class email service providers, we help marketers take their email programs to the next level by driving more response and increasing revenue.
At Return Path, we know email.
Through the Return Path Data Exchange, we’ve brought together the world’s most comprehensive source of data from the email ecosystem. We partner with more than 70 providers of mailbox and security solutions, covering 2.5 billion inboxes—approximately 70 percent of the worldwide total. Also feeding into this data platform is our consumer network of more than 2 million consumers and purchase receipts from 5,000 retailers around the world, delivering unparalleled insight into purchase behavior, brand affinity, and consumer preferences.
Once you’re an employee here, this is a place where you’ll be challenged, inspired, rewarded, and transformed.
The Impact You’ll Have at Return Path
The Senior Manager, Revenue will report to the Controller and will work closely with the Finance and Billing teams to ensure that revenue and related commission expense is accounted for properly. The Manager will be a technical lead and help drive the company's effort to adopt the new revenue standard (ASC 606) which includes upgrading the current subscription system to be compliant with the new standards. To be successful in this role, you must have strong knowledge of software revenue recognition and the ability to interpret complex revenue arrangements. You should have the ability to interact effectively with cross functional teams, including FP&A, Sales, Sales Operations, Billing, and Legal. We are looking for someone who has excellent problem solving skills and enjoys working in a challenging and fast-paced environment to support our continued success and growth
- Review sales arrangements to ensure proper revenue recognition in accordance with company policy and revenue recognition accounting standards.
- Maintain the company revenue recognition policy and draft technical memos as needed.
- Manage monthly revenue and commissions close and ensure that all adjustments and accruals are recorded correctly within local entities and on the consolidated financials.
- Prepare and review various monthly revenue related analysis.
- Prepare Commissions Analysis, amortization schedules, and entries for local and consolidated financials.
- Advise and setup all new product’s revenue recognition rules.
- Maintain and consistently improve process and system efficiencies, advising internal business operation team of all accounting needs to be compliant with GAAP standards and allow efficient reporting.
- Prepare and implement new ASC 606 standards.
- Support and provide guidance to billing team to ensure correct order processing and revenue related setup.
- Review Professional Services and multiple element engagements and manage issues related to revenue recognition.
- Review and respond to requests/inquiries from other cross functional teams including Legal, FP&A, SEC, and Sales regarding revenue transactions.
- Perform VSOE/ESP review and calculations for certain transactions.
- Coordinate quarterly reviews and annual audit related to revenue and sales commissions.
- Participate in ad hoc projects as needed.
- Act as liaison for accounting team to business development team on all accounting related system upgrades, process changes, and product portfolio updates.
- Support new system implementations and integrations including user testing.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, CPA preferred.
- 5+ years of revenue recognition experience in the Software industry.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP software revenue recognition - ASC 605 and 606
- Advanced MS Excel skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels in the company.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Organized, detail oriented, able to prioritize tasks and possess strong work ethic.
- Ability to take ownership of projects and drive them through completion.
- Exceptional technical skills and analytical abilities.
- A plus, if previous work experience includes Intacct, Salesforce, or Zuora
- Leadership skills: Creates an environment that encourages and rewards teamwork and collaboration, both internally and externally, inspires team spirit and loyalty to the organization, handles multiple, complex priorities and balances the needs of each according to business impact.
- Analytical Problem Solving: Able to use a systematic approach in solving problems and the ability to process information quickly in order to make difficult decisions on a timely basis with fact-based logic and sound reasoning.
- Decisive: Maintains composure under pressure, adaptable and flexible and able to make decisions on available information and take action; make commitments; and deal with emergencies as necessary.
- Coaching, motivating and mentoring: Sets expectations, tracks and communicates results and creates environment for accountability for results and actions. Having an inclusive, collaborative and open style that proactively builds relationships, listens well, recognizes nuances, appreciates different viewpoints and creates an environment of trust and respect.
At Return Path, we are building an extraordinary company that helps people and businesses communicate more reliably, effectively, and securely. We put people first, do the right thing, and succeed together.
We have a strong belief that our people are the most important part of our business. We incorporate this philosophy into our practices and we live it every day. This means we have generous traditional benefits and take a lot of time to focus on quality management and leadership development. We also strive to ensure each person in the company is in the right job, knows how his or her job contributes to the overall company mission, and has a clear sense of career growth and direction. We have great employee retention over the years because people love coming to work here and really feel like they're part of something special.
Do the right thing
The Return Path experience is a two-way exchange. We expect you to give us your best every day, and you can expect the same from us. In exchange for your talent, your energy, and your unique contributions, we will strive to give you what you need to live a balanced, healthy life. This means more than competitive pay and benefits—it means offering the freedom and flexibility to create your ideal experience inside and outside the office.
For more information visit www.returnpath.com
Return Path is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Meet Some of Return Path's Employees
Manager, Service Delivery
As a Service Delivery Manager, Connie manages a team of account coordinators, supporting the relationship managers and technical account managers for accounts all across the United States.
Back to top