Senior Manager, Materials Innovation FW
Drive material innovation by applying/feeding footwear material expertise into strategic footwear development programs, in collaboration with the Reebok Advanced Operations team and Reebok futures team. Carry out research and development in materials which fuels the overall material development efforts ultimately driving revolutionary material innovations to Reebok products. Strategically develop materials that support brand direction for key concept products.
- Continually research new materials opportunities and technologies based on business trends, trade shows, and the competitive landscape.
- Research, develop and apply innovative materials to provide horizontal material concept solutions for brand Reebok.
- Steer the prioritization and implementation process of horizontal material concepts with the cross functional inline teams.
- Collaborate with the Reebok Advanced Creation team as well as the futures team to drive brand concepts for material innovation.
- Look outside the footwear, apparel and textile industries for material innovation opportunities.
- Establish a collaboration platform with our strategic Innovation partners in our existing and extended supply base.
- Collaborate with the Lab Manager to establish test methods for materials research projects that fall outside the normal realm of lab procedure; using testing resources outside adidas lab when appropriate.
- Provide technical and commercial advice and be a consultant for the x-functional teams regarding innovative materials and processes.
- Ensure all legal requirements (e.g. for new materials, suppliers, external organizations, IP protection etc.) are covered and consult with legal department as needed.
- Create a communication strategy to all stakeholders to ensure transparency about projects
- Act as a material innovation consultant on a global brand Reebok level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent understanding of materials manufacturing from a global perspective, of usage of computers as a tool for research and communication as well as footwear and/or apparel design, development and merchandising process and its relationship to materials
- Comprehensive understanding of the impact of materials & textile manufacturing processes on other processes within product creation
- Expert knowledge of state-of-the-art technologies in knitting, weaving, nonwoven manufacturing, dyeing, finishing processes, coating, yarn manufacturing. In-depth knowledge of one of these technologies is a plus
- Expert knowledge of commercially accepted levels of evaluative and analytical test results
- Very strong interpersonal skills to maximize the productivity of the application team
- Ability to effectively communicate (both written and verbal) and to lead discussions in small and larger groups
- Ability to cope with change, make decisions and act comfortably with risk and uncertainty.
- Ability to travel, domestic and international as required by business needs.
- Fluent English (verbal and written)
- Strong IT skills (e-mail, MS office)
- 5+ years of progressive work experience in material research and/or development
- Bachelor's degree in Textile Sciences, Textile Engineering/Technology, Design or related field
- Footwear industry experience is ideal
In the fall of 2017, the Reebok brand is moving its headquarters to a 220,000 square-foot section of the Innovation and Design Building in Boston's Seaport District. The move will bring community fitness to a next generation design and innovation space; the all new workplace will foster a vibrant collaborative culture and will allow the brand to be closely connected to the community in Boston. Alongside state-of-the-art office spaces, the headquarters will be equipped with an extensive employee fitness center and a public retail store.
Meet Some of Reebok's Employees
From materials to use to how to cut and sew them, Andi creates the fitness clothing worn by elite athletes and Reebok's consumers—on the court, in the gym, and on the go.
Back to top