Senior Footwear Designer, Classics
Fitness is the cornerstone of our brand.
In the early 80's, Reebok was at the forefront of a revolution; we transcended the lines between fitness and fashion with product built for the studio and adopted for the street. In the 90's, innovation was a hallmark of the Reebok brand with signature technologies; The Pump, Hexalite, and DMX introduced. Today, this core spirit of Reebok is celebrated as we tell our story of American Fitness and Sport heritage, and build deeper connections to global youth culture.
We create a global range of unparalleled footwear, apparel and accessories built for life.
We celebrate authenticity, individuality, and passion through our collaborations with global influencers and tastemakers in the fashion, art and music space.
We move and inspire people.
The Senior Footwear Designer for Classics is responsible for researching trends, ideation of new concepts and creating compelling footwear product to meet the brand aesthetic. This creative and passionate individual will work alongside the footwear team to ensure that each product meets the category's product brief and the seasonal design direction set by the Creative Director and Senior Management team.
- Accurately depict hand-drawn sketches, designs, graphic applications, and ideations as digitally rendered line art, flat patterns, 2D / 3D, technical drawings, and other required art / illustrations
- Capture mental impressions and ideas in visual, verbal, or audio renderings
- Create technical drawings and representations of fabric, trim, graphic artwork, and products such that construction information is interpreted exactly as intended
- Select appropriate methods of communications to accurately convey technical information in informal and formal situations
- Create design and concept boards to communicate seasonal direction and design theme application to a product or product line
- Create supporting artwork that illustrates design concepts and tells stories
- Create new products, graphics, seasonal color palettes, or seasonal vision / concepts using trends in fashion and culture, competition, and Reebok past designs as catalysts
- Translate fashion and culture trends to the brand, products, product lines, design concepts, color, and graphics
- Use unorthodox or atypical ways of solving problems to conceive innovative, usable concepts, or inspire other concepts / ideas
- Respond to design critique with multiple solutions
Reebok Design DNA
- Incorporate seasonal inspiration, fabric/materials/trims, color, and graphics stories in designs that have visual aesthetic as well as relevant product color / graphics themes and placement
- Select and ensure color, graphics/prints, materials, fit, and trims enhance product aesthetic, works within overall design range, and overall design has market appeal
- Design products based on accurate assessment of fabric and anatomical characteristics
- Research and apply new and innovative ways to use existing techniques
- Visualize concepts, impressions, and ideas in concrete and tangible ways
- Attend and contribute to review sessions for designs, construction, fit, and/or prototypes
Industry, Market, and Consumer Acumen
- Use relevant and appropriate resources to accurately determine, anticipate, and validate current and future trends, competition, retail landscape, and cultural drivers
- Use appropriate research methods and resources to efficiently obtain current, reliable, and credible information regarding markets, colors, trends, consumers, retailer strategies, and other required types of information
- Interpret and understand consumer dynamics, predict shifts, and react to trends
- Make accurate assessments and projections of competitors' strengths and weaknesses in the global market relative to the Reebok brand, products, and product lines including market presence, tactics, merchandising, and trends
- Gather and apply market research and/or consumer feedback to accurately anticipate and fulfill consumer needs, and identify consumers and trends
- Create / design products that integrate technology, function, and design aesthetic and remain within cost margins
- Assess potential cost / margin impact of fabric, color, trim, graphics, treatments, technology, components, and construction choices
- Resolve cost / margin issues and ensure product / design realization and execution, within budget, against the targeted Go-In-Margin, revenue, quality / pricing, and timelines to meet market requirements
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
Manage and Develop People
- Provide prompt and constructive feedback within design peer group.
- Be comfortable in a coaching role, supporting team members including interns and apprentices.
- Be a positive energy with the team, creatively leading, inspiring and enabling others.
Communicate with Others
- This person should be able to communicate with clarity and confidence in individual and group situations.
- Be adept at collaborating and communicating both cross functionally and within the design team.
Planning and Organizing
- Work independently and perform a variety of tasks with different levels of complexity by developing effective plans and organizing work efficiently
- Meet design calendar deadlines and deliverables
- Participate conscientiously and with accountability in own, cross-department, and cross-function teams, and facilitate effective team outcomes
- 8+ years of footwear design experience
- Advanced level Adobe Illustrator; Photoshop and 3D software a plus
- Understanding of materials and their application to footwear designs; understanding of material development processes and footwear construction
- Well established knowledge of the footwear manufacturing process
- Strong team player as well as the ability to work independently
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills
- Presentation and Storytelling skills
- Bachelors degree in product, industrial, automotive or interior design
In the fall of 2017, the Reebok brand is moving its headquarters to a 220,000 square-foot section of the Innovation and Design Building in Boston's Seaport District. The move will bring community fitness to a next generation design and innovation space; the all new workplace will foster a vibrant collaborative culture and will allow the brand to be closely connected to the community in Boston. Alongside state-of-the-art office spaces, the headquarters will be equipped with an extensive employee fitness center and a public retail store.
Meet Some of Reebok's Employees
From materials to use to how to cut and sew them, Andi creates the fitness clothing worn by elite athletes and Reebok's consumers—on the court, in the gym, and on the go.
Back to top