Do you want to join the fully automated real-time fight against evil?
Creating a safe experience for all users is a crucial aspect of Reddit’s mission to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. The Anti-Evil organization empowers Redditors to define and enforce safety standards for their communities and personal experiences.
We’re the real-time safety applications team within Anti-Evil and we keep Redditors safe by automating the detection and actioning of harmful user behavior and content in real-time.
We’re looking for an experienced backend engineer to join our team and help us design and build internet scale distributed systems, stream and batch processing platforms and safety applications to analyze content and user behavior, detect violations and take action at scale and in real-time.
Reddit is growing fast and is among the most visited websites in the world. We’re a small, tightly-knit company with one of the highest user: employee ratios in the industry, giving you a tremendous opportunity for both scope and impact. This is a unique opportunity to leave your mark on one of the most influential and trafficked corners of the internet and to prevent harm and improve the experience for millions of people around the world every day.
Join us and help build the future of Reddit!
How you’ll Have Impact:
- Build the systems that keep millions of users safe every day
- Design and build out industry-leading applications for abuse prevention at internet scale
- Enable teams within Safety and across all of Reddit to build real-time applications and safe user experiences
- Reddit is build your own adventure: You will be encouraged to identify opportunities for and affect positive change anywhere in the company.
What You’ll Learn:
- How Reddit works on the inside
- How to fight the evils on the internet at scale
- How to partner with a range of cross-functional teams to build real-time applications, safety integrations and to roll out technical programs
- How to build large-scale distributed systems, real-time stream and batch processing platforms
- How to design, build, test and productionise a variety of models and analysis models, policy-as-code frameworks and audit tools
What You’ll Do:
- Own and execute backend projects
- Design, implement, test, productionise and maintain
- backend services,
- batch and stream processing platforms,
- real-time safety applications
- Support building a healthy engineering culture and uphold code quality, testing and best practices
- Partner with other world-class engineers, product, data science, enforcement, threat analyst and cross-functional other teams to identify and implement state-of-the-art solutions to challenging problems
- Provide technical leadership in domain areas
- Contribute to company-wide forums, initiatives and open-source projects
You will be encouraged and have the autonomy to propose and execute on your own projects and initiatives.
Who You Might Be:
- 5+ years of experience building clean, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Experience with Python or another server-side scripting language
- Experience with batch processing, stream processing and workflow technologies such as Apache Flink, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka and Apache Airflow
- Preferably experience designing and implementing distributed systems
- Experience with databases like PostgreSQL
- Great engineering skills and strong CS fundamentals
- Excellent collaborative, communication, and documentation skills
- Able to work effectively under schedule pressure to fix defects, review code, design, write, test new code, and diagnose production issues
“The front page of the internet", Reddit is a network of more than 100,000 communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies and passions. Reddit users submit, vote and comment on content, stories and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with more than 52 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy. Reddit is growing fast and is among the most visited websites in the world. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.