Director of Engineering, Anti-Evil
- San Francisco, CA
"The front page of the internet,” Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
As the Director of Anti-Evil Engineering you will build solutions that keep Reddit and its users safe! The teams you lead will work on a wide range of technologies and be responsible for account safety features, tools for detecting spam and bad actors, weeding out inappropriate content, legal and policy fulfillment, and more. It’s a rare opportunity to run an organization that works on internal tools, user-facing features, and machine-learned models all in one.
It’s a huge challenge but you can lead the engineering teams that keep more than 430 million Redditors safe!
- Identify and implement strategies that help keep Reddit’s users, systems and data safe
- Build real-time data systems to process large datasets in parallel on massive clusters
- Collaborate with threat detection teams to leverage ML models to identify offending content and take appropriate actions
- Increase efficiency through automation, improved signals, workflow streamlining and system optimization
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, develop, QA, experiment, analyze, and deployment
- Collaborate across all company disciplines to find technical solutions to complex challenges
- 3+ years of experience managing teams, including managing engineering managers
- 8+ years of experience building clean, maintainable, and well-tested code
- Experience with large scale distributed real-time systems with tools such as AWS, Hadoop, Kafka, and Mesos
- Expertise in designing and communication of complex data
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate with stakeholders in engineering, data science, and product
- Humble expert with a sense of urgency
- Skilled at taking complex topics and making them simple
- Transparent judgment and stands behind their decisions, right or wrong
- Team focus with an ability to lead in a matrixed organization
Back to top