At the heart of Redbubble is a community of creative independent artists who make their creations available on a number of lifestyle products. An iPhone case with a hipster pirate. A throw pillow with pink flamingos. A sweetheart mug. Whatever's your thing, Redbubble has that unique product you didn’t even know you were looking for. As for the people behind the site? We’re passionate, imaginative, and a little offbeat; an inspired mix who are helping spread creativity all over the world.
A wee bit of background:
Our Melbourne-based Web Product Team is comprised of multiple cross-functional tech teams dedicated to high-profile projects ranging from UX engagement to New Market development all aligned to company strategy. We are looking for a Tech Lead with a thoughtful approach to drive and lead some of these teams. In this role, you will be tasked to earn the trust and respect from your team of full-stack developers (some of them have been with us since our early days, and some who started last week). You will be tasked to guide them to reach their full potential, leading by example and getting your hands dirty in some sweet, scalable code (Ruby on Rails and JS). Over the past nine years, Redbubble has ascended from modest Aussie startup to global online community through a focus on technological innovation, prudent execution and a mission which, not even for a second, loses sight of the customer. Come be a part of our growth!
How You’ll Make an Impact:
- Champion the day-to-day work of your team, balancing project cost, quality of work and scope.
- Help design features for user impact and coach your team to bring them to life, at scale.
- Ensure dev work is estimated, planned & executed with the right metrics.
- Optimise production infrastructure, deployment and performance of your area.
- Work with the CTO and Head Engineer to develop the long term vision and execution strategy for scaling Redbubble.
- Work with the Delivery Manager to identify risks and issues, remove blockages and facilitate improvements.
- Mentor each individual on your team in both technical and professional growth.
- Capitalise on technology-driven innovation and be the champion for Agile practices (CI, BDD/TDD, etc) and process (Retrospectives, Showcases, Standups).
- Create a delivery-oriented culture for your team through active pipeline management.
- Participate in initiative level strategy advising on technical considerations
- Advise on trade-offs of implementation: new features, bugs and tech debt
- A personal interest in the intersections of art, creativity and technology
- An approachable coach who makes time for your people, even when $%!^ really hits the fan (Well, these things happen!)
- A curious skeptic who knows how to eloquently and professionally communicate your views to both your team and Senior Leadership.
- A great sense of humor and know how to lighten up the mood when the intensity levels rise.
- An imaginative thinker with a brilliant mind who regularly comes up with ideas that provide tangible solutions to real obstacles.
What You’ll Bring to the Bubble
- At least 5-10 years experience as a senior software developer, one of which in an engineering leadership role at a high-growth technology company.
- Agile mindset, Agile / Lean methodologies are your bread and butter
- Strong architectural pattern knowledge and ability to lead design discussions of complex problems.
- Champion continuous learning & improvement within the team.
- Ability to identify viable trade-offs between technical capability, business needs and user interests
- Sharp communication skills and ability to influence stakeholders
It all starts with our people, and that is why we have some fantastic benefits including free food and a generous personal development budget ! We also pride ourselves on things like transparency, with a no bullshit, open culture. You’ll get heaps of flexibility on how you work and be part of a culture where anyone in the team can bring a great idea to the table. Oh, and in the middle of your coding sessions, you can step away for our daily meditation sessions or weekly Redbubble Band practices! Where else can you get that all in one place? You can read more about the sorts of things our Tech Team is up to at Art+Tech.
Your Privacy: If you apply for a job or contract with us we will collect the personal information that you provide as part of your application. We may also collect personal information from recruitment consultants, previous employers, referees and publicly available sources to help us decide whether to offer you the job or contract.
Back to top