Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer
At the heart of Redbubble is a community of creative independent artists who make their creations available on a number of lifestyle products. An iPhone case with a hipster pirate. A pillow with pink flamingos. A sweetheart mug. Whatever your thing is, Redbubble has that unique product you didn’t even know you were looking for. As for the people behind the site, we’re passionate, imaginative, and a little offbeat. Our mission is to create the world’s largest marketplace for independent artists and we hope you want to join us on our journey to help bring more creativity into the world.
A wee bit of background:
One of the benefits of being a young, growing company is that we have a fresh and innovative culture. We believe that the best software is designed, written, tested and deployed by small, nimble, multidisciplinary teams. Right now we are one of the largest Rails sites in the world, and we process over 20 million requests per day(and growing). We utilise many technologies to make this a smooth ride: Rails, Amazon Web Services, Solr and React.js. As a Senior Engineer you will have the opportunity to influence teams on technical and product prioritisation decisions as well as work closely with stakeholders across Melbourne, San Francisco and Europe, with your contributions being critical in setting the stage as we scale for growth. By thinking outside the bubble, we have helped artists bring their artwork to life and customers find pieces that reflect their individual creativity, so a big part of your role will also be to ensure a commitment to innovating, challenge best practices, and inspire the development of juniors.
Problems you’ll solve and the impact you’ll make:
- Be involved in every step of the process, from inception to launch, contributing to business direction, process optimisation and bringing new ideas into fruition.
- Improve our code quality and help the team become a well-oiled machine - with the added challenge of growing the team at high speed.
- Create a vision with our Product Managers, Designers and Data Scientists to experiment and find creative ways for our customers to find that unique and relevant piece of artwork seamless fashion.
- Experiment and use data to drive decision making across the wider business.
- Release code multiple times a day, while handling the challenges of scale.
- Own the products all the way through. We are flexible on the way you work, and receptive to improving standards / processes.
- Work with the customer, with scope to be involved in user testing, become familiar with our users and artists and use this knowledge to build better products.
What you’ll bring to the Bubble:
- Strong architectural pattern knowledge and problem solving.
- A pragmatic grasp of the benefits of agile and lean.
- Solid experience designing and building web applications.
- The ability to write tested, comprehensible, scalable code.
- Advanced experience with TDD.
- Insights into the challenges facing a high-traffic site (ideally A/B testing experience).
- Proven experience building technical foundations of a new project / product.
- Experience delivering multiple end-to-end technical projects.
- A proactive attitude, and the ability to recognise opportunities.
- Ability to communicate complex technical decision making with stakeholders.
- Experience in leading and mentoring junior engineers will get you bonus points too.
Life Inside the Bubble
It all starts with our people and that’s why we have perks that will make you fall in love with us even more, like free breakfast and lunch, daily meditation sessions and a generous personal learning budget to keep you up to date with the latest tech trends! We also pride ourselves on transparency, compassion for our people and having a safe inclusive environment where everyone has the freedom to be their full self. Just to seal the deal, you’ll get heaps of flexibility on how you work and be part of a culture where anything is possible. Our values will help you embrace challenges, give you the courage to fail and learn brilliant lessons, all while having fun. Come explore your aspirations and take up an opportunity to make a difference to the bubble. While you’re at it, maybe take a peek at the sorts of things our TechTeam is up to at Art+Tech.
Meet Some of Redbubble's Employees
Customer Experience Hero
Steve engages with the social community in order to help answer customer inquiries and offer solutions to any issues artists and users experience with the website.
Back to top