Sr. Innovation Scientist
Location: Montvale, NJ, Parsippany, NJ, and/or Evansville, IN
The Sr. Innovation Scientist role is integrated within Global Health Innovation and responsible for leading the internal collaborative / cross-functional start-up of disruptive innovation (DI) opportunities. This role is key in guiding and shaping innovation and development of RB's Health category product pipeline - including category driven, cross-category technology platforms, and whitespace / adjacencies to RB business. Under the guidance of the Innovation Manager, this role will take on the challenge to create & enable: new segments & technologies, brand adjacencies, whitespace growth and rapid innovation requirement. In close partnership with Marketing, R&D and Consumer Insights this role is critical in shaping the innovation strategy for the health category and advancing the reach and effectiveness of RB's Healthcare business.
- Lead the internal collaborative and cross-functional start-up of DI opportunities, ensuring that the innovation team delivers:
- whitespace innovation to RB's pipeline in line with CDO and Emerging Science & Technology objectives for business and category growth;
- NPD & base innovation to the category pipeline - through utilisation of innovation teams and other R&D resources; and
- disruptive innovation opportunities (as part of 3YP and for opportunistic / strategic innovation investment) for priority Category Marker Units, Markets and Brands.
- Champion Global Health Innovation partnership to deliver against RB commercial needs in collaboration with Outside-Innovation, Connected-Innovation, and Consumerization teams as well as other RB cross-functional teams.
- Lead strategy across the DI team, implementing processes and tools to ensure strong resource management and planning.
- Work alongside the DI Manager/Director to ensure project / portfolio strategy is in line with business. requirements.
- Deliver on innovation with a clear focus on bringing net revenue to the pipeline. Key stakeholders are R&D Directors / VP's for the respective category and global functions and in-market business partners.
- Resource projects using a dynamic resourcing model with input from business lead team and Category Management. A key part of this role will be assessing the resource need for the projects and communicating accordingly to the DI manager.
- Proactively working with the Health Category and New Platform teams (Marketing/ R&D/ Consumer Insights) to identify key business challenges and to define/scope the opportunity.
Lead identification of consumer, technology, medical and regulatory insights that facilitate realisation of innovation ideas as defined projects with clear opportunity sizing and level of investment required.
Professional Qualifications and Experience
BS/BA degree in a related science and 5 years' experience, or MS degree in a related science and 3 years' experience, or PhD in a related science
Relevant consumer healthcare industry experience in a pharmaceutical, OTC, nutritional, medical device or life sciences company is required
Previous innovation experience in New Product Development with examples of successful product launches
Broad experience across multiple brands and categories
Experience of working within a category product development role and comprehensive understanding of the product development process
Experience of working closely with commercial colleagues and an understanding of corporate and operational business needs
Ability to understand, interpret and communicate scientific information is essential
International understanding and flexibility to travel / work across locations and time zones
Experience of guiding teams, managing in a matrix and working with ambiguity
Strong people, influencing and relationship skills built in a complex matrix environment
Capable of building strong working relationships and motivating teams to deliver outstanding results with or without hierarchical relationships
Commercial understanding of corporate and operational business issues
Ability to deal with ambiguity and create clarity for decision making
Ability to transform solid thinking into action (a thinker and achiever)
Ability to influence and challenge key stakeholders
Excellent communication skills both written and oral (in English)
Excellent presentation skills in front of diverse audiences
Strong intellectual curiosity
Appetite for exploring new ideas and innovating
Openness to change and ability to think out of the box
Back to top