R&D Packaging Innovation Sr. Associate/Design Engineer, Hygiene/Home
- Montvale, NJ
R&D Senior Associate Packaging Design Engineer
RB is different: 'good enough' isn't good enough here.
RB is the world's leading consumer health and hygiene company. We work with the best people to challenge conventional thinking and keep giving people innovative solutions for healthier lives through our brands like Mucinex, Durex, and Enfamil.
A fantastic opportunity is available for a R&D Senior Associate Packaging Design Engineer to join our R&D team in Montvale, New Jersey.
The R&D Senior Associate will lead technical product development on key projects for the R&D team.
- Work with marketing, formulation, factory, and other teams to develop products and packaging to meet market needs, technical requirements, manufacturing capabilities, company financial goals, and within targeted timelines.
- Iteratively design, prototype, and test new products using Parametric 3D CAD modeling in Solidworks, 3D printing, "Frankenstein" prototyping, pilot tooling.
- Ensure lab space and equipment adhere to quality and safety requirements of the company.
- Provide technical inputs into key project documents: Feasibility Brief, Success Criteria, RACI, CPS, Design Brief, FMEA / risk assessment test protocols, P&L; ensuring selected designs meet the product success criteria
- Collaborate with internal partners for example: marketing, global design, trade, legal, regulatory, regional packaging teams, engineering and procurement.
- collaborate with external partners for example: suppliers, tool makers, design agencies, test houses, universities and creative agencies
- Build effective working relationships with all above
- Manage pilot tool qualification ensuring all packaging is fit for purpose and meets set KPI's
- Support production tool qualification. & line validation
- Take part in Gross Margin improvement and Sustainability programs and product/process brainstorming session as required.
- Lead NPD / EPD projects involving new (sometimes novel) packaging components or technologies
- Identify and evaluate new developments or trends which could be considered in the Hygiene sector. This could include innovation, technologies, materials and processes
- Work closely with Consumer testing groups to ensure all NPD's deliver on the Consumer needs
- Lead and advance multiple projects through the product development process
- Foster personal development growth with continuous coaching and feedback on career development as per the R&D Guiding Principles and Corporate Core Values
- Set objectives, conduct performance reviews and advise on the development of his/her team members to enable them to achieve their full potential
- BS/BA degree in Packaging Engineering or Mechanical Engineering related scientific field and 8 years' experience, or MS degree in a related science and 5 years' experience, or PhD in a related science and 3 years' relevant experience
- 3+ years' experience in Packaging Development. Completion of a professional qualification such as the Institute of Packaging preferred.
- Demonstrated competence and proven track record of success within FMCG environment
- Proven Project Management skills including timeline management and coordination of key stake holders.
- Strong understanding of the product development process from concept ideation to launch.
- Knowledge of injection and blow moulding mandatory. Knowledge about other technologies is an advantage
- Knowledge of manufacturing technology; both on the making of the packaging components as well as the related filling and packing technologies
- Fluent knowledge of parametric CAD software, Solidworks preferred. Surfacing experience preferred.
- Experience designing and managing development of novel products from ideation and needs finding stage through production stage.
- 3D printing experience preferred, especially FDM and SLA
- Experience with rapid prototyping and handmade fabrication methods for concept refinement.
- Knowledge of relevant packaging legislation, regulations and standards
- Understanding of Intellectual Property issues associated with structural packaging design
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams and multitask.
- Computer literate; familiarity with statistics and project management principles
- Excellent team working skills, collaborative and inclusive with the ability to work well in cross functional working environment.
- Strong communication skills both verbal, and written
- Excellent technical and commercial awareness
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills and the ability to work closely with commercial functions, external research agencies and academia. At times being able to take the lead with commercial partners and create a path to product launch.
- Understand a broad range of packaging materials and factory environments as the role is not just office based.
- Proactive mindset fitting with RB Core Values and able to exhibit entrepreneurial attributes.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to nurture teamwork and foster an environment of achievement.
- Results-oriented and self-motivating.
- Ability to display a degree of flexibility and adapt effectively to change.
- Proven people management and people development skills
- Proficient with common software, including MSOffice.
- Fast paced. Tired of having to jump through endless hoops to get things done? Not here. We move fast and deliver.
- Growth. Frustrated by the lack of growth opportunities in your current company? Not here¡ RB takes pride in the development and continued growth of our employees through steady rotations and promotions.
- Autonomy. RB empowers you to OWN what you do.
- Iconic Global Brands. http://bit.ly/RBNABrands Take a look. You'll be surprised at how many you already have in your home.
- Feel good about the Company you work for! RB is committed to making the world a better place through betterrbusiness. http://bit.ly/rbsustainability
- Passport Stamps. Does working internationally interest you? Perform well and Global doors can open for you at RB.
- Work with smart people. We have a talented workforce that believes in sharing ideas to help each other, and the company succeed.
- Vacation. We offer 4 weeks' vacation, 9 core Holidays and 4 floating days.
- 16 weeks paid Maternity leave.
- Competitive base salaries and bonuses.
- Tuition reimbursement.
In return, RB will offer you a very competitive salary with excellent benefits, a fast-paced working environment with incredible opportunities to develop yourself, and the chance to progress your career within a truly global organization.
Apply Now for a chance to really change the game!
RB is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top