Packaging Development Engineer/Technologist, Regional R&D, North America
Packaging Development Engineer/Technologist, Regional R&D, North America
RB is the world's leading consumer health and hygiene company. We work with the best people to challenge conventional thinking and keep giving people innovative solutions for healthier lives and happier homes, through our brands.
A fantastic opportunity is available for a Packaging Development Engineer/Technologist, Regional R&D, North America to join our R&D team in Parsippany, NJ.
About the role
This position is part of the North America Research & Development Function and reports to the Regional Packaging Development Manager. The role will provide key technical support on various projects from concept through commercialization. The work scope is related but not limited to innovation, cost savings, brand maintenance and/or business requests. The incumbent will serve and be viewed as a contributing technical subject matter expert with emphasis on embellishment package development practices within the department. The individual will be expected to accomplish objectives through their individual contributions as well as indirect reporting relationships within the department, factory, and RB supplier base.
Technical Knowledge / Acumen
Possesses and applies a basic understanding of industry knowledge and capable of developing a technical foundation to build to an expert in research and data analysis to create best in class products.
- Creates packaging material specifications, associated drawings, and packaging procedural specifications to provide required technical information necessary to support the product/packaging configurations.
- Create components and items within the enterprise resource planning module to populate the RB technical document system for packaging documentation
- Identify the material requirements, draft specifications and applicable testing procedures to ensure projects deliver efficient cost, line performance, package quality, supply chain robustness, and fulfill consumer requirements.
- Applies technical packaging knowledge and information to solve problems and provide solutions based on risk and benefit assessments. Apply fundamental packaging principles in recognizing potential issues and identifies timely and cost effective solutions
- Basic understanding of the technical requirements and consideration of customer design requirements (e.g. - Club stores/e-commerce, Walmart/Target, CVS, Grocery) and category (VMS, PC, SWB, IFCN, Health) constraints.
Able to execute against defined tasks within a project on cross functional teams, able to work independently on projects where incumbent is the lead. Assess feedback from manager and indirect reporting relationships to ensure ongoing alignment to priorities.
- Participates in project meetings, issues related to documentation, supports project timeline development and able to deliver against assigned tasks, manage project communications down and across the business as appropriate.
- Conduct root cause analysis and apply trouble shooting techniques to solve for technical issues and performance challenges.
- Conduct lab analysis, production line trials and supplier testing as needed on related projects. Generate and analyze collected data to drive technical and business recommendations.
- Plans, leads and attends packaging manufacturer and RB plant trials to assist in evaluation and problem resolution.
- Supports the development of packaging cost models and scenarios comparing alternatives to recommend ideal solutions.
- Effectively leads small to medium scale factory projects, coordinating amongst peers and able to report out results, risks and progress.
Analyzes the industry/customer/prime prospect dynamics, scientific/technical feasibility, and market viability in all aspects of the Supply/R&D process to build innovative solutions that enhance organizational value.
- Supports the identification and development of enabling technologies that drive breakthrough new packages, cost savings and/or core renovation initiatives.
- Effectively partner with the business to commercialize packaging solution for small to medium project/programs and lead small projects/programs. Partner with department staff to effectively support large projects and programs.
- Support the research of equipment solutions at the front end, support identifying innovative technologies or appropriate existing technologies for the organization, for transition to Engineering.
- Work across all functions, including the balance of R&D, Operations, Quality, Engineering, Commercial, Procurement and Suppliers to support project launches as need.
- Fundamental capability to support modify existing packages by taking them from the bench, pilot plant and commercial scale based on customer or consumer needs.
- Demonstrated high-level of contribution to cross-functional/multi-disciplined teams operating in a dynamic, result-oriented environment.
- Experience communicating and networking effectively with a diverse audience at peer set levels
- Experience with fiber packaging, high barrier rigid and flexible packaging substrates and/or hybrid applications combining multiple substrate types.
- Experience in OTC consumer goods manufacturing and packaging principles as it relates to packaging design.
- Basic experience in problem analysis and resolution, statistical methods, and design of experiments.
- Exposure to US good manufacturing regulatory requirements in relation to Packaging.
- Two to six years of relevant and experience with progressive responsibilities and project leadership in the consumer products, OTC, Nutraceutical, or food packaging industry specific to embellishment finished goods.
- Bachelor's Degree in Packaging, Package Engineering, or Packaging Science required.
- Strong knowledge of science and technology discovery, design, and development processes, information systems.
- Basic understanding on how to translate consumer and customer insights into packaging features that add benefit.
- Able to embody design theories and output packaging solutions that can be commercialized.
- Understanding of rigid and flexible polymeric materials and their manufacturing and converting process (blow molding, injection molding, thermoforming, film and sheet conversion).
- Business skills that drive initiatives through an organization.
- The ability to deal with ambiguity and deploy effective use of creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to organize and present technical and project management overviews without assistance.
- Knowledge in packaging equipment systems including qualifications and validation practices.
- Effective and proactive verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills handling or supporting multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to embrace and live RB's Mission, Vision and Values.
- Recognizes the importance of employee safety in the workplace including compliance with legal, corporate safety, and environmental guidelines.
- Energetic and self-motivated professional with a sense of urgency.
- Capable and willing to learn and be coached by manager, staff and others.
- Demonstrated efficiency with MS Office, Esko Cape/Artios Cad, & Infor Optiva. ERP systems (SAP/JDE) and Solid Works exposure is a plus.
- Fast paced. Tired of having to jump through endless hoops to get things done? Not here. We move fast and deliver.
- Growth. Frustrated by the lack of growth opportunities in your current company? Not here¡ RB takes pride in the development and continued growth of our employees through steady rotations and promotions.
- Autonomy. RB empowers you to OWN what you do.
- Iconic Global Brands. http://bit.ly/RBNABrands Take a look. You'll be surprised at how many you already have in your home.
- Feel good about the Company you work for! RB is committed to making the world a better place through betterrbusiness. http://bit.ly/rbsustainability
- Passport Stamps. Does working internationally interest you? Perform well and Global doors can open for you at RB.
- Work with smart people. We have a talented workforce that believes in sharing ideas to help each other, and the company succeed.
- Vacation. We offer 4 weeks' vacation, 9 core Holidays and 4 floating days.
- 16 weeks paid Maternity leave.
- Competitive base salaries and bonuses.
- Tuition reimbursement.
In return, RB will offer you a very competitive salary with excellent benefits, a fast-paced working environment with incredible opportunities to develop yourself, and the chance to progress your career within a truly global organization.
Apply Now for a chance to really change the game!
RB is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top