Packaging Development Engineer, Regional R&D, North America
This position is part of the North America Research & Development Function and reports to the Packaging Development Manager - NA IFCN. The role will act as either a key technical support person or technical lead for various projects/programs from concept through commercialization. The scope of work is related, but not limited to innovation, cost savings, brand maintenance and/or customer requests. The incumbent will serve and be viewed as a junior technical leader, with emphasis on holistic package development practices within the department. The individual will be expected to accomplish objectives through their individual contributions as well as supporting others in the department or across the packaging teams' internal customer base.
Technical Knowledge / Acumen
Possesses and applies a basic understanding of industry knowledge and capable of developing a technical foundation to build to an expert in research and data analysis to create best in class products
- Creates packaging material specifications, associated drawings, and packaging procedural specifications to provide the required technical information necessary to support the product/packaging configurations.
- Assist or identify material requirements, draft specifications, and apply testing procedures to ensure projects deliver efficient cost, line performance, package quality, supply chain robustness, and fulfill the consumer need state.
- Applies technical packaging knowledge and information from a wide variety of sources to solve difficult problems and provide solutions based on risk and benefit assessments. Applies fundamental packaging principles in recognizing potential issues and identifies timely and cost effective solutions.
- Build technical acumen of MJN packaging formats such that incumbent can provide insight and information to key stakeholders internal and external to the department.
- Capable of developing an understanding of the technical requirements and considerations of customer design requirements and constraints for the category (e.g. - Club stores, e-commerce, Target, etc.)
Able to execute against defined tasks within a project on cross functional teams, able to work independently on projects where incumbent is the lead. Assess feedback from manager and indirect reporting relationships to ensure ongoing alignment to priorities.
- Participates in project meetings, issues related to documentation, supports the development of project timelines and able to deliver against assigned tasks, manage project communications down and across the business as appropriate.
- Conduct root cause analysis, facilitate a D.O.E, and apply trouble shooting techniques to solve for technical issues and performance challenges.
- Manage and conduct lab analysis, production line trials and supplier testing as needed on related projects. Generate and analyze performance based data to drive technical and business recommendations.
- Plans, leads and attends packaging manufacturer and MJN plant trials to assist in evaluation and problem resolution.
- Supports the development of packaging cost models and scenarios comparing and contrasting alternatives to recommend ideal solutions.
- Effectively leads small to medium scale projects, coordinating amongst peers and able to report out results, risks and progress.
Analyzes the industry/customer/prime prospect dynamics, scientific/technical feasibility, and market viability in all aspects of the R&D process to build innovative solutions that enhance organizational value.
- Supports the design and development of existing technologies to adopt that drive new packages, cost savings and/or core renovation initiatives.
- Effectively partner with the business to commercialize packaging solutions for small to medium projects/programs that are led by others or the incumbent. Partner with other department staff to effectively support medium to large projects/program led by others.
- Support the research of equipment solutions at the front end, support identifying new technologies or appropriate existing technologies for the organization, for transition to Engineering.
- Work across all functions, including the balance of R&D, Operations, Quality, Engineering, Commercial, Procurement and Suppliers to support project launches as need.
- Fundamental capability to support or directly modify existing packages by taking them from the bench, pilot plant and commercial scale based on customer or consumer needs.
- Demonstrated high-level of contribution to cross-functional/multi-disciplined teams operating in a dynamic, result-oriented environment.
- Experience communicating and networking effectively with a diverse audience at peer-set levels.
- Experience with fiber based packaging, high barrier rigid and flexible packaging substrates and/or hybrid applications combining multiple substrate types.
- Basic understanding of aseptic processes and packaging principles as well as thermal processing as it relates to packaging design.
- Must have experience in problem analysis and resolution, statistical methods, and design of experiments.
- Exposure to regulated packaging environments or ability to learn government regulatory requirements in the infant formula in relation to Packaging.
- 1 to 5 years of relevant and experience with progressive responsibilities and project leadership in the consumer products or food packaging industry
- Bachelor's Degree in Packaging, Package Engineering, Packaging Science or similar technical field such as Engineering or Food Science required
- Strong knowledge of science and technology discovery, design, and development processes, information systems.
- Working knowledge of networking with external resources outside of R&D.
- Basic understanding of how to translate consumer and customer insights into functional value that creates benefit
- Able to embody design theories and output packaging solutions that can be commercialized.
- Understanding of rigid and flexible polymeric materials and their manufacturing and converting process (blow molding, injection molding, thermoforming, film and sheet conversion).
- Business skills that can drive initiatives through an organization.
- The ability to deal with ambiguity and deploy effective use of creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to organize and present technical and project management overviews with some assistance.
- Knowledge of packaging equipment systems and qualifications.
- Effective and proactive verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills handling or supporting multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to embrace and live MJN's Mission, Vision and Values.
- Recognizes the importance of employee safety in the workplace including compliance with legal, corporate safety, and environmental guidelines.
- Energetic and self-motivated professional with a strong sense of urgency.
- Capable and wiling to learn and be coached by manager, staff and others.
- Demonstrated efficiency with MS Office, Infor Optiva & SAP.
In Return RB offer very competitive salaries with excellent benefits and the chance to progress your career within a truly Global organisation.
Apply Now for a chance to really change the game!
RB is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top