Lead User Experience Designer
- Los Angeles, CA
Defend the digital world and design the future of security at Rapid7!
As cybercriminals become more sophisticated, we need to provide simple, yet powerful solutions to help our customers defend their digital environments. Are you up for the challenge?
Who We Are
Rapid7 helps organizations around the globe advance securely. Our technology, services, and community-focused research simplify complexity for security teams, helping them manage risk, monitor for malicious behavior, investigate and shut down attacks, and automate routine tasks. With more than 9,000 customers across 120 countries, Rapid7 is a recognized leader in cybersecurity that has proudly earned numerous industry accolades and strong recognition for our technology and culture.
Our UX Philosophy
As experience practitioners, we believe our ability to deliver real, sustainable customer value hinges on using the skills of design to help teams reach confident shared understanding, and include people of every expertise in the creation of design solutions.
There are several key pillars of our philosophy that makes this possible:
- Everyone owns and is accountable to the experience. We partner across practices and departments to help uncover customer needs, and create a shared knowledge that empowers everyone as user champions. This ensures that we truly deliver the right experience that helps our customers meet their outcomes.
- Inclusive design at every step of the way. Collaboration and partnership are at the heart of what we do. The only way we achieve customer outcomes is together . We bring in folks as subject-matter experts, empower them to be part of the design process, and facilitate shared accountability to the customer experience. We discover, design, and deliver together!
- Embody the advocate mindset. We recognize that making products is a messy and interdependent process, so it's critical for everyone to take a relational rather than transactional approach when engaging one another. It's often more about motivating people around the right goals, customer insights, and activities than checking boxes for requirements. We rally around the customer and their needs to drive this shared purpose!
- Experience is about putting the customer journey at the center. Our bread and butter is the craft itself. We use the tools of design-research, user flows, interactions, content, interfaces, maps, journeys, and more-to help teams stay focused and motivated to help customers achieve their outcomes.
The Opportunity and Essential Responsibilities
The Vulnerability Risk Management Practice team is looking for a spirited Senior UX Designer to create thoughtful end-to-end experiences that drive customer outcomes and help our users achieve their cybersecurity goals.
In this role, you'll partner with your practice counterparts to:
- Explore and craft design solutions for our customers' most complex cybersecurity problems.
- Help drive the evolution of our solutions, and influence the future of the Vulnerability Risk Management practice.
- Drive meaningful outcomes that contribute to real customer success and company goals.
As a Senior UX Designer, your major areas of focus will be to:
- Work within a customer-centric, outcomes-focused cybersecurity practice and build deep understanding of the cybersecurity user and their challenges, including Vulnerability Risk Management, security programs and remediation strategies.
- Help lead the Vulnerability Risk Management practice experiences end-to-end, from problem definition and experience discovery, exploration, and design through delivery. This involves standard design methods like user flows, journey maps, sketches, low and high fidelity visual mockups, and functional prototypes.
- Partner across the Vulnerability Risk Management practice to help proactively influence, manage, plan, and scope UX team projects and practice-wide initiatives. This includes translating strategy, customer needs, research findings, and usability best practices into high quality, customer-centric design solutions that support and reinforce product vision, brand, and customer outcomes.
- Collaborate across multiple practice and geographically distributed teams to unite designers as a collective, and ensure cohesive experiences within our platform and brand portfolio.
- Mentor junior members on the team and work with fellow UXers across practices to establish a tight knit culture of growth, learning, and strong UX advocacy.
You'll also work hand-in-hand with:
- Product Management and Go-To-Customer experts to identify and balance user needs, business goals, technical feasibility, the end-to-end customer experience, and time-to-market to determine the best design solutions that drive customer outcomes.
- Customer Research to coordinate, manage, and/or run user interviews, user testing, and other research functions to evaluate customer needs, effectiveness of design solutions, and to help drive adoption of the solutions you create.
- UX writers to craft content experiences, help identify documentation needs, and ensure a cohesive editorial tone across our product brand.
- Visual Design and UX Engineering to work within and contribute to our design system, and ensure necessary design elements are available to UX and engineering partners.
- Software Engineering with direct partnership and collaboration, early technical feasibility discussions, and understanding of design intent as it pertains to user need and solution implementation.
- Are focused on solutions to customer needs, not just crafting designs. You see the UX process and solutions as a means to deliver value to our customers, and balance the right amount with your partners.
- Demonstrate a "growth" mindset and value collaboration over ego. You embody the "we" attitude, and "grab a shovel" when needed, regardless of swimlanes or areas of ownership. You believe success happens as a team.
- Believe deep partnership is the root of success. You naturally build strong partnerships across the organization, and you can create consensus, drive alignment, and influence within your practice team.
- Are unafraid of ambiguity. You push forward through unclear direction, and help to defne that direction with your UX, PM, and engineering counterparts.
- Are a strong and dynamic communicator. You have the ability to tell a story and craft a narrative that compels your audience, drives alignment, and prompts action.
- Have a strong sense of accountability. You have excellent time management skills, and hold yourself accountable to commitments.
- Imbue energy, enthusiasm, and curiosity. You bring yourself every day, and embrace the "never done" mindset.
- We are looking for a candidate that roughly has 4-6 years of relevant experience; this includes holding previous roles as a product designer, UX designer, visual designer, or equivalent experience.
- We don't require cybersecurity experience. It's a nice to have, but ultimately we're looking for someone with great UX instincts that can identify patterns and needs across our customer base, and synthesize these complexities into usable and polished design solutions. We know there will be a ramp-up period, and will support your journey into this exciting field!
- We need someone that can travel occasionally, both domestically and internationally . Rapid7 has 7 offices with team members present across North America and Europe. You'll work directly with team members in Los Angeles, CA; Austin, TX; and Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Back to top