Sr. Software Engineer - Machine Learning Acceleration [Kubernetes]
- Boston, MA
The Senior Software Engineer is a key position in the machine learning operations group. As part of the Rakuten Institute of Technology's Boston branch, the scope of this role is contributing to the research productionization effort. The responsibilities include assisting machine learning efforts by optimizing novel ML algorithms into production-ready code, developing new tools to accelerate model-building efforts, educating fellow members on best practices in software design, and maintaining world-class on prem and in cloud compute clusters.
1. Optimizing novel ML algorithms for speed, throughput, resiliency, and cost.
2. Maintaining and enhancing large research clusters.
3. Writing new tools to accelerate machine learning efforts
4. Designing new ETL pipelines to improve on premise server utilization
5. Designing cloud strategies to speed up training/classification efforts with the least cost.
6. Acting as a SME for software practices, containerization, networking, data management, and CI/CD.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong knowledge of containerization, working with Docker and Kubernetes
- Strong knowledge of Python and Go development
- Strong knowledge of Linux servers and maintenance
- Working knowledge of data science packages such as Numpy, Scipy, and Sklearn
- Ability to work independently and design novel solutions
- Strong written communication and presentation skills
- BS in Computer Science or similar field
- 3 to 5 years in software development or SRE role
RAKUTEN SHUGI PRINCIPLES
Our worldwide practices describe specific behaviors that make Rakuten unique and united across the world. We expect Rakuten employees to model these 5 Shugi Principles of Success.
- Always improve, always advance. Only be satisfied with complete success - Kaizen.
- Be passionately professional. Take an uncompromising approach to your work and be determined to be the best.
- Hypothesize - Practice - Validate - Shikumika. Use the Rakuten Cycle to success in unknown territory.
- Maximize Customer Satisfaction. The greatest satisfaction for workers in a service industry is to see their customers smile.
- Speed!! Speed!! Speed!! Always be conscious of time. Take charge, set clear goals, and engage your team.
Back to top