Rakuten, Inc. is the largest ecommerce company in Japan, and third largest ecommerce marketplace worldwide.
We seek to empower merchants to deliver hospitality mindset, which helps sellers create lasting relationships with customers. Along with the global marketplaces, Rakuten supports an ever expanding list of acquisitions and strategic investments in disruptive industries and growing markets.
At Rakuten, we offer competitive salaries, benefits, annual bonuses, a stocked kitchen (including catered lunch daily), and a dynamic office environment. We love investing in our people and when it comes down to it, we think our entire team is pretty awesome. As a technology focused company, we understand the importance of an energizing atmosphere that promotes collaboration and innovation.
About our team
Rakuten Catalog Platform is an exciting project at Rakuten. Our mission is to provide an accurate, compelling catalog with millions of products covering thousands of merchant partners and build highly relevant search and other services to take our e-commerce offering to the next level. This platform supports global business units from many countries including USA, Japan, UK, Germany, Canada and others.
This platform uses Big Data technologies, Cloud infrastructure, open source scalable search platform and cutting edge machine learning/statistical modeling and it will be highly leveraged within the company, becoming the foundation for our next-generation of applications.
Be part of an awesome R&D team where you get inspired by talented people, challenges and mission to change the global e-commerce landscape!
What you will do
- Lead a team of highly skilled Big Data Software Engineers, focused on producing results for our R&D team
- Leading design & development of Product Catalog & Search components including storage, search, large data processing (stream & batch), APIs, analytics, tools and web services.
- This is a great opportunity to join early as Lead in the team, influence the technology selection and build/own the infrastructure.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or 10+ years software engineering experience within a tech company
- 7+ years of solid Java back-end experience
- Strong knowledge of design patterns, OOPS principles and data structures
- Strong knowledge of at least some of the following frameworks/technologies Hibernate, Spring, REST, XML, JSON, ActiveMQ, Kafka
- Experience with any of these technologies a HUGE plus: Big Data (Cassandra / Hadoop), Spark, Flink, machine learning, Cloud (AWS or Google Cloud)
- Bonus if you have experience for leading /managing teams/projects
- Experience with tools and technologies like Gradle, Maven, Jenkins, git, IntelliJ, Eclipse, Docker to support end to end software development
- Experience with Relational databases, queries and RDBMS best practices as a consumer
- Ability to work in a fast paced Agile development and rapid deployment in the Cloud/SaaS environment.
- Able to effectively communicate across teams and roles.
RAKUTEN SHUGI PRINCIPLES
Our worldwide practices describe specific behaviors that make Rakuten unique and united across the world. We expect Rakuten employees to model these 5 Shugi Principles of Success.
- Always improve, always advance. Only be satisfied with complete success - Kaizen.
- Be passionately professional. Take an uncompromising approach to your work and be determined to be the best.
- Hypothesize - Practice - Validate - Shikumika. Use the Rakuten Cycle to success in unknown territory.
- Maximize Customer Satisfaction. The greatest satisfaction for workers in a service industry is to see their customers smile.
- Speed!! Speed!! Speed!! Always be conscious of time. Take charge, set clear goals, and engage your team.